Hooks for flathead.

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by goingfishin, Aug 18, 2008.

1. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    What is your oppion on the type of hook for flathead. I bank fish when fishing for flathead so I dont have any rod holders I just turn the clicker on.

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    depending on the bait i use 6-10/0 hooks j-mustad style and they work just fine sometimes i use a 10/0 circle
    but i use a rod holder and just let the fish set the hook on its own when it loads up

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
  4. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i also use the 8/0 King Kahle hooks..:cool2:

5. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    8/0 Gama Octopus.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    7/0 kahle, upsized to 10/0 for bigger bait, downsize to 5/0 for smaller bait or heavy snags.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Eagle Claw King Kahles 9/0 for live Bluegills after Flatheads. For blues and cutbait I use 9/0 circles. I use the heavy duty bank rod holders.:wink:

8. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
  9. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I'm all about the king kahles also. Seems like I loose alot of flats w/ circle hooks. I've also had good luck with BPS cat max J hooks, although alot of people don't like shiny hooks.

10. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I love the kahles hooks as well. 7/0 most the time and 10/0 for bigger baits. They've always worked great for me.

11. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    7/0 gamakatsus octopus hooks have to be one of the best hooks ive ever used. they are the sharpest hook ive found out there. when i aint got the money to buy em i go with the cheap but fairly decent eagle claw circle c in a 9/0 size.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have converted to circle hooks. Primarily because of the location of the hookset. I like the corner of the mouth!! Which type typically depends on price: I prefer 8/0-12/0 depending on bait and location

13. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    I use 9/0 kahles or 8\0 gamatsu circles depends on the situation

14. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
  15. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Don't know if this will work, been offline for almost 2 years, forgot a lot about posting.
    Pic is a 35# flathead, with the 5/0 Gamagatsu Circle still in place, used live bluegill, no problems keeping him tied on. Funny how the 5/0 hook looks tiny inside that bucket mouth!
    http://www.catfish1.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=94&c=member&imageuser=124

Have also used those enormous 10/0 Eagle Claw Kahles.

16. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I don't care for circle hooks. Trying to cross their eyes is part of the fun. I use BPS Cat Max J hooks or similar.

17. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I use 10/0 strictly no matter what bait, the only ones I usually miss are the small blues but I catch those alot to. I think the key to the hook set on the flat is waiting to they bend your pole just right. Ive took many people fishing not experienced with flatheads and there number one reason for missing the flats is when the flat starts doing there tugs before they have took the bait the people yank. Its to soon, the flat will usually do a few tugs sometimes for a long period of time before it takes the bait. I usually wait until my pole does a really good bend then I set the hook. This also works well when they have been playing with the bait forever and you think they might not make a run for it. Especially in the fall, alot of my big ones last year in late season were biting like small 3# fish picking it up dropping it and they were over 40 pounds.

18. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    i ve found out over the years that hook size dosent matter a lot ive caught 50lb flatheads on #1 eagle claw hooks of coarse you need a bigger hook for bigger baits but the state and wourld record has been caught on a jig

19. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    oh no !! now ya done it !! :eek:oooh: dont bring up the record flathead round here !! :wink::smile2::smile2:

20. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    what a crock:eek:oooh: