hooks for eaters(5-10 lb range)

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Nov 6, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    im trying to find a good hook for flathead fishing using live blugill.. generally in the 5-10lb range

i have 4/0 baitkeepers and i like the j hooks but was looking for the size reference :tounge_out:

2. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I would try useing a 7/0 circle hook.

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    for smaller baits id try the new sickle hoohs that gene chambers is selling.they are one of the sharpest hooks i have seen in a long time.

4. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Finally, a "My Size" topic I can talk about!!!

This is the range I fish for 100% of the time.

I normally use a #2 Baitholder, my favorite style of hook, with a live shad or perch. But I picked up some #2 and 3/0 circle hooks that seems to be what I'm looking for.

BYW, sharpen every hook you fish with! Hope I'm preaching to the choir here.

Jerry

5. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    MAN If I was catchin' bait that size, I wouldn't even be messing with the catfish. JUST KIDDING --No matter what style hook you use, make sure there is plenty of gap around the bait to grab some lip. I also learned the hard way==that circle hooks have to be quite a bit bigger than J's to get a bite.IMHO

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I still like my 3/0, 4/0 and 5/0 tru-turn hooks for most of my still fishing. Never have gone bigger than a 7/0. I like the 5/0-7/0 circle hooks for drift fishing though.

7. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

*** By #2 do u mean 2/0 cause thats the current hook i use now *** and i got to say i love those hooks

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have been using 3/0 or 4/0 Octopus (non circle) for that range of fish. Bait holder in that size shoud work.

9. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    2/0 3/0 4/0 and I'll go 6/0 on one with 50 lb mono and a slab sized panfish for bait just to see if Jaws is around........ I like to put a treble stinger in the tail also depending on where I'm fishing...

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    are you talking about the baitkeeper style or something else

11. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    You can't go wrong with 6/0 or 7/0 circle if using live gills. I actually wouldn't go under that using them as bait. When you're rigging round fish like them you need to have the hook exposed as best you can so go bigger and you shouldn't miss anything over 2-3 pounds. I've even caught fiddlers on a 6/0.:roll_eyes:

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I use 7/0 kahle hooks for catfish in that size range, I've caught catfish from 1lb Channels to 45lb Flatheads on 7/0 kahles. Just last night I had a bluegill about 6 inches long on a 7/0 kahle under a slip float about 5 foot deep and a 4lb Channel worried that gill around for about 15 minutes till it got the enough of it in it's mouth to get the hook. :smile2:

13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    8/0 circle hooks will catch anything that can eat the bait you're presenting. I've caught them well under a pound to over 60 lbs all on the same hook.