Hooks for channel and blue catfish?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by init 4 the CATFIGHTS, Jun 1, 2006.

1. init 4 the CATFIGHTS

init 4 the CATFIGHTS New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What are your guys feelings on the proper hooks to use for big channels, and blues?

2. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I am torn, i like the idea of circles for CPR, but have missed quite a few fish. Guess this wasn't a great answer, but there you go.

3. init 4 the CATFIGHTS

init 4 the CATFIGHTS New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Any info is good info! I will take any that comes along. Thanks!

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Personally, I like kahle hooks - from around 1/0 through 5/0. They almost always hook the fish in the corner of the mnouth. The only thing I don't like is that a few of the midsize blues get the point of the hook through the eye area.

5. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just this past week I went and picked up some size 1/0 hooks and i got the kind've hooks that are reallly thin. Just so happens i catch (or caught and lost) a good channel and he bent that hook and got off. Just dont do that!!!! sorry...for complaining

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Chad, Most of the time I use 7/0 - 10/0 Khale hooks but I keep 5/0 - 10/0 in the tackle box and match the hook size to the bait size I catch on that particular day. Hope that helps. 777

7. Fishingfirefighter

Fishingfirefighter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I prefer to use Octopus circle hooks. They are very sharp and I have never had one bend on me. The size should depend on the size of the bait and the fish you intend to catch.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree with jainsc i normally use 2/0 through 5/0 kahles i also find that the the mid size ones sometimes gets it through one eye,i noticed that along time ago and didnt know if it was just me or the hook,interesting.

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I use a Gamakatsu <(sp) no.1-4 bait hooks and a three way swivel rig- so far so good-