Hooks for Carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by brinley45cal, Feb 4, 2006.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I was wandering What type of hook is good to use on carp?What do you guys use and what size?I didnt know if you could use circle or kahles or what since there mouths are shaped defferent then a cats.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Small hooks very small, I use a size 4 or 6 eagle claw, not a 4/0 but a size 4..They are almost as small as bluegill hooks.

3. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Depends on local conditions and the bait of choice.

For canned corn, I go with a light wire Aberdeen in 6 to 1/0, on a main line of 8 to 12 lb test.

I also fish wheatie balls smeared with peanut butter. O'Shaunessy pattern hooks run from 8, when they're real finicky, to 3/0 when they'll hit a big bait. In either case, leave a very small bit of thehook point exposed thru the skin of the doughball.

I've experimented with a hair rig, slightly different than the Euro guys make. I use heavy wire Gamakatsu Octopus (not circle) hooks in 6 to sizes. Tie a doubled piece of 30-lb gorilla braid to the bend of the hook, slip a series of tiny beads on and tie a stopknot every 1/8 inch under the hook (3 ususally is about right) so you have a little necklace-looking dangle coming off the hook. Roll the doughball on the hair and beads, leaving the hook completely exposed but touching the bait. The idea is to have the carp suck in the bait, as they usually "taste" things a couple times first by taking it in and out. The hook sticks on the way out. You can get some of those little styro floating beads (steelhead guys use em) a to add to the doughball to make it float, which makes this rig very effective. I've done some comparison fishing with this rig, same baits and presentations, side-by-side with 3-way and slipsinker rigging, mostly in pretty heavy current. Jury's still out on which is better, though I've caught nice fish on all.

Whichever hook size and pattern you use, make sure you have a dead sharp point. Check it by dragging the point lighty on your thumbnail - it should catch on its own weight.

4. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I go with #6 Eagle claws with 3 or 4 kernels of corn. 6 ft med spinning rod with 10lb. test. Toss a handful of corn in toss in your bait and hand on.

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, when sight fishing for common/mirror carp, I got with #6 Eagle Claw with a single nightcrawler and the smallest splitshot I can find. When fishing grass carp(in current) I fish a 4/0 Gamagatsu circle with two nightcrawler threaded onto it, and fished on a standard slider rig.

6. Rocket_Ron

Rocket_Ron New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    What you need is a size 6 short shanked wide gaped hook realtively thick guage in wire, if you send my son catbusster an email he will send you a sample of the ones we use to great success. These types of hooks when tied with a siomple hair rig knot can be very effective for shy feeding fish.

Be Lucky

Ron Buss

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well i normally dont target carp but i may try to this year to use for cutbait.plus they are pretty fun to fight,my problem is i dont know much on how to catch them so this is a big help,thanks guys.

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Also, I have used "Sabiki Rigs" for carp. And they work great! Just put a little bait on the hooks.

Good luck.

Oh....and Ron, welcome to the BOC, glad to have another UK member on here.:)

9. NYRiverRat

NYRiverRat New Member

State:
    New York
    I use Eagle Claw style 80 in #4 and #6 J

10. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I just started to use the Eagle Claw L056, last year, in sizes 4 and 6. Been doing good with them.
    Will

Attached Files:

11. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    Send us your address and I will send you a sample

Tim received some the other day for carp fishing / catfishing

12. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Here is a great link with lots of info, look in the section "Carp Fishing Methods"

I am going to make a few of the hair rigs pretty soon. I still can't find the hooks I would like to try locally, went to Cabalas yesterday to try to find hooks, the salesman said use circle hooks. I told him about the hair rig and the kind of hooks I needed and all I got was a strange look. I guess I'm going to have to order them from someplace.

13. Gonzo_Joe

Gonzo_Joe New Member

State:
    Dowling Park, Florida
    For carp, I use a small treble hook with a thick home-made doughbait.

14. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I use small panfish hooks anything else they just seem to spit out.

15. chicagoriverking

chicagoriverking New Member

State:
    CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
    i mainly use a size 8 or a size 6 baitholder hook in the summer and now in winter i use fox size 14 barbless with a 11' ultralite and six pound tst with a 4 lb leader wit my old trusty shimano spinning reel

16. chicagoriverking

chicagoriverking New Member

State:
    CHICAGO, ILLINOIS

the cheapest i have found for hooks with the hair rig is a regular size 6 or 8 baitholder hook that you can find at catfishconnection.com they sell them cheap and in bulk quantity like 50 or even a hundred for i think like 6-8 dollars

17. catmando

catmando New Member

State:
    Colorado
    I go with #6 Eagle claws when going for suckerz. But #4 is good also. best of luck to you

18. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Well I tied my first hair rig tonight. The hook is a Mustad size 7/0 it's called the big gun catfish hook, the line is Spiderwire Fusion 30lb test.
    I went with the all loop because it was recommended on a carp site.

"Many carpers use a knot to form a loop in the end of their hair. I find this makes too big a hole in the bait you are threading....so I just make the whole hair a loop."

It sounded good so thats what I did:)

Attached Files:

19. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    Nice rig bubba, ready for some haulin now!

20. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    What kind of hooks do you prefer?????? Your magazine gave me a lot of great ideas.I love some of the chair/beds,never saw them before!