Hooks for 2007

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Cut bait, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    How many of you guys are gonna swich hooks this year?
    Ive talked to some about this and am getting a real mixed bag about
    the use of circle hooks verse khale hooks.

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I like circle hooks Aaron. It took me a while to get use to them but thats all I have in my box now.

3. MaysvilleCatfish

MaysvilleCatfish New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i hate circle hooks.i know some folks swear by them but there not for me

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    iam the same way maysville i hate them circle hooks i have lost more fish on them things then i have cought i use the king kahle hooks

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I place my confidence in Kahle Hooks. Because I like to set the hook. Makes me think I'm still fishing.:lol: :wink:

6. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    same for me. i like to set the hook.

7. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    I use kahle right now but i will probably try out some circles.

8. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I really enjoy using circles, but I'm venturing into some of the king kahles this year in the river!

9. bclumsky

bclumsky New Member

State:
    kansas city
    i am not good at setting the hook my timing is off so i have now switched to circles and so far i like them better but i am still learning how to let the fish hook itself.

10. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I LIKE AND USE BOTH. GIVE EACH A CHANCE AND GO WITH WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU.

11. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I have used both but like circles better. Especially when the fish are slamming baits. If you are patient enough to sit on your hands, circles had the best hookup ratio, bar none. I saw an article in a magazine about it and they outperformed any other hook, and interesting point. the first hook ever found was from like 4,000 bc and they were obviously meat hunters. They used limb lines and not poles. This hook was a circle hook, not a J or Kahle. And saltwater enthuisiast have used them for many years. Now when fishing for flatheads or the bite is slow I will switch to a Jahle sometimes, because u gotta pick them boogers off b/c they aren't hitting hard enough to set on themselves. Hope this helps!

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Nope don't plan on switching hooks. I use circles 99% of the time. There are times when you have to use a J hook.

13. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have been using circles for 3-4 years now. When the bite is strong, I swear by them. When the bite slows down I like to switch to the Octopus wide gap hooks.

14. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Octopus circle hooks only for me. I like them because the hook set is always clean in the corner of the mouth. Easy to remove and you never have to kill the fish trying to remove a swallowed hook.

15. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Circle hook. You either love them or hate them.

I guess I am the exception. I get along with them, but prefer to set the hook.
    I normally use kahle hooks, but I do use circles at times.

16. Hooked-on-cats

Hooked-on-cats New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well I think it depends on the area your fishing. If Im on the river with some good current I use a Daiichi Circle hook. If im fishing the slack waters behind wingdikes or on a lake I like to use the King Kahle hooks. I tend to get better hook sets in slack water if Im the one crossing their eyes. But if the bite is right and your on the river let them do the work for you. You also won't waist as much bait.:big_smile:

17. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I am switch brands of circle hooks from Eagle Claw to Daiichi and adding the octopus wide for when the bite is not so aggressive.
    When properly used, circle hooks can't be beat...in my opinion.

18. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Never limit yourself to one style of hook. Different styles are needed for different applications and at different times. If the fish are barely picking at the bait, I will use a kahle or o'shaughnessy so that I can set the hook. If the fish are taking the bait hard, I will use a circle hook. One of the main things to remember is to leave your hook point exposed. Also make sure, that you use a hook with a gap large enough to set the hook into the fish and not into the bait. Keep those hook points clean and clear!

19. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I have found a trick to the circles. When you get them straight out of the bag. I bend the hook tip off center. This seems to hook them better.

20. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    ive always used circles for cats with some 4/0 j's every once in awhile, but im gunna try some khales and maybe some octopus this year just to switch it up a little.