Hooks and Swivels?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Old Bill, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Howdy folks,

Somewhere on the BOC I saw a photo showing a snap swivel attached directly to the eye of a fishing hook.

I'm thinking of rigging my jug lines using that method this spring. I'm wondering if many people had done this and what the results were.

Any comments pro or con are welcome!:roll_eyes:

Attached is a photo showing how I would rig the hooks to the Jug's line.

Attached Files:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill looks good, but I would suggest using a cross-lock snap attached to the hook. Little more expensive but will hold the bruisers.

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My comment was going to be exactly what Mickey said. Those little snaps like you have there aren't very strong. I'd go for the crosslock snaps to be on the safe side.

4. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I don't trust using snap swvels at the hook. When running trot lines we tie our line to the hook and use those little stinker asy clips to the main line. So when we are done there aren't any tangled up drops getting caught on anything. We unhook them from the main and stick the hook into the top of a lip on a foam bucket.Then we ready to go again next time with no mess.

5. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Looks like I need to forget using the snap swivels and learn to tie some good knots!:confused2:

To be honest, the only reason I was going to use the snap swivels was that I had bought a box of 25 # 4 Khale hooks. after I opened the box I discovered that the eyes on the hooks was very small! Maybe 1/16-inch.

The tar coated line that I am using for my jug lines and drops is too large to pass thru the eye of the hooks. Since I had a bunch of snap swivels on hand I thought I might be able to use them.

I'm now thinking about using leaders using Berkley Trilene XL 17 lb line, with a Palomar knot at the hook and a Surgeon's loop at the top of the leader.

Any suggestions on better knots or ??:roll_eyes:

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Bill Iwould make your one piece, you might make a weak spot having mono going to another type of line. I would start by going with a hook with a larger opening in the eye.Then you can use your jug line that you allready trust and know. The pallamar knot is just fine, you might try putting the hook in a vise when tieing your knots so you can pull them plenty tight.

Just my thoughts.
    Chris:wink:

7. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Chris,

I hate to have to buy more hooks, but that might be the best thing to do! :eek:oooh:

My dear wife asked me yesterday how much a pound the few catfish that I brought home was costing me!:crazy:

I acted like I didn't know what she was talking about...but, if I was forced to guess...I'd guess about $200.00 per pound!:cool2:

Bill

8. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    My wife said that to me a couple years ago when I was bringing home a few 2 or 3 pound fish per trip. Since we started bringing home 10 to 20 pound fish I don't hear about the cost as much as I use to. If you are using mono line up to 30-40 pounds a polumar knot is great..when I fish in a rocky area I use 80 mono and one of the brothers on the board taught me how to snell a hook. I have a tackle box full of those swivels with the hook clips. I now use them as a slider when I fish ripp rapp for the sinker. Old bill you can use those #4's as a stinger hook.

9. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    I had that same issue bought 200 hooks on line that had vry small eyes. i just bought some ball bearing cross lock swivels clipped them on to the hook and tried them. So far no worries but my biggest was a 13 pound channel if you latch into a 50 or 60 i dont know for sure. It would probably hold up but i dont know. I would just try it those ball bearing swivels with the cross snap are pretty strong my dad has used them on his down rigger for many years usin the same swivel with no issues so my guess would be to go for it. you should be o.k:wink: