Hooking...

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Cody M, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Cody M

Cody M New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    OK,

Ive got a few questions

1) What size hooks should i be using for various types of bait for channel cats? Should i be using Trebles or single hooks?
    2) How do you hook: shrimp, bluegill, cutbait, crawlers, suckers/shiners
    3) Ugly Stik Catfish...Good? not good? Great?(thinking of buying a couple

That should be it for now.

Thanks
    Cody

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    First, let me throw out a big welcome to the B.O.C. It is a great place with a lot of gentlemen and ladies with a wealth of fishing/hunting/and most everything else, knowledge. We are always eager to share with others, but you have to remember, each of us are individuals and have our individual opinions. So, the answers you get to your questions will depend quite a bit upon who it is answering. Let me throw my two cents out first...

Hooking bait... there are several regular type hooks (circle, kahle, and J hooks). Each is fished slightly different. On circle and kahles it is important for the point of the hook to exit the bait. When a fish takes the bait (meaning its not nibbling) the pole loads up - gets a darn good bend in it in other words. The force of the pole bending causes the tip of the hook to penetrate the fishes mouth. DO not set the hook with a circle hook as you will pull it right out of the fishes mouth. Just pick up your pole and start reeling. As the fish fights, the hook will be set. Kahle hooks are similar to circles...you can let the fish load the pole and hook itself, or you can rare back like you would with a "J" style hook and attempt to cross the fishes eyes. Live bait, like bluegill, shad, minnows, etc can either be hooked through the lips, through the eyes, or through the back behind the dorsal fin. Don't hook them in the spine as it will kill them and destroy their action. Shrimp tails and worms are generally threaded on kahle or "J" style hooks.

The rods you mentioned are pretty fair starter rods. There are better rods out there, but those will probably serve you your entire fishing life if you take proper care of them. Look on the shaft, just above the handle. It will tell you the line strength and weight capacity. Try to match your outfit to those specifications. My opinion is that it is senseless to spend over a hundred dollars on a pole I'm probably gonna catch in the car door, a fish is gonna pull in the water, or some no account low life is gonna steal from me in the near future. Of course, everyone is different.

Just join in the conversation whenever you have an opinion of the subject matter. Remember, your opinion is just as good as anyone else's.

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The only thing I have to add to Lawrence's post is my Welcome to the BOC...

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Boredom is a sign of unused potential.

4. Cody M

Cody M New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the help guys.

I know ALOT abolut hunting and most other types of fishing, ive only been catfishing once and am wanting to take my boat out this year so i want to make sure im doing everything right before i get out there.

Thanks
    Cody

5. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Welcome to the BOC Cody and I think Lawrence covered about everything answering your question, thanks for asking it.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC Cody!!! I believe Lawrence pretty well covered the info for you.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Cody, Lawrence has already answered your questions. I just say Welcome to the BOC.:lol: :smile2:

8. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Welcome Cody to the BOC. If you hang around here you may become the smartest catfisherman in town. You will gain fishing knowledge every time you log on.
    Lawerence, gave you a good start. Good luck and we're glad you're here.

Flint

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Lawrance is not only right, but he just explained to me what I've been doing wrong with my kahle hooks. I keep getting better hook sets with the "J" hooks than with the kahles. From what he explained, I'm not letting my rod "load up" enough before I pull thier tail through their mouth! THANKS LAWRANCE!!!!!!!! Like you said, you can always learn something new no matter how much you've fished.

10. Cody M

Cody M New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for all the help guys