Hooking Your catfish Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by sem21, Mar 19, 2006.

1. sem21

sem21 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Where's The Best Place To Hook Perch Or Goldfish To Keep Them Alive? My Best Luck On Perch Is Behind The Top Fin And About 1/4'' Down And Almost The Same For Goldfish.

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I usually hook my live baitfish under the dorsal fin but sometimes I will hook them through both eyes. I also try to keep as much of the barb point exposed as possible.

3. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Mine seem to live longer if I hook them behind the dorsal fin in the meat.

4. hunterman1971

hunterman1971 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I hook mine right behind the dorsal fin they live longer and they can move alot more.

5. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    I also do the same thing works great

6. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I always go right behind the dorsal fin.

7. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Behind the dorsal fin works great unless you are fishing heavy current. In heavy current it that way forces water backwards through their gills (they will not live long that way). In heavy current, I have found the best way to hook them is through the forehead (in front of the dorsal fin). You will find that you have a better hook-up ratio this way. Most baitfish will swim against the current (upstream). Catfish and other preditor fish will attack baitfish from behind.
    The second part of this senario I will try to explain. It is my belief that catfish and baitfish have better control swimming upstream in heavy current. My thinking behind this is the same as fisherman in boats. If you have ever tried to manuver your boat in swift current at a slower speed, it is alot easier manuvering upstream through a brushpile, exposed boulders, and other obstructions. Just my 2 cents worth.

8. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have hooked them threw both lips or threw the eyes like someone said.sometimes i'll take a bluegill and cut his tail off and hook him back there in the meat where his tail once was. they seem to get a little blood flowing but they don't live very long.

9. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I do the same hooking through the dorsal fin as you do, and sometimes (depends on fish and conditions) I will hook them through their lips. They seem to do better in current this way.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Chuck, that 1/4" depends on the size of the bait I hope. Hook'm any where just make sure your going through meat. Nothing will kill them quicker than going through the spine or brain. :sad:

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    if the current is swift i like to hook through both lips otherwise i hook above the spine behind the dorsal