Hooking through lips or tail ?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kyron4, Feb 12, 2008.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When fishing with live bluegills or creek chubs in the 6" range, what gives a better hook up when a flatty takes the bait; through the lips ot behind the dorsal fin ? Or does it matter ? -Thanks

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Typically a flathead will eat his food head first. I prefer to hook my live bait through the mouth by placing the hook inside the mouth and running it out above the nose. Be careful not to put the hook too far back as it could kill the bait. This method will allow your bait to live for hours.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    It all depends on the current. If in a lake where there is no current, I would hook them behing the dorsal fin. But if I was in a river with moderate to high current, I would hook them in the lip or forehead. Hooking them behind the dorsal fin in current will only kill the baitfish beacuse it has to constantly keep up with the current. It tuckers itself out and drowns!.

Some guys statrted hooking them below the anal fin for more and action and struggling. I will definitely give that a try this year!

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have had sucess both ways but they do better thru the lips in heavy current

5. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    I have always hooked mine behind the dorsal fin.have had pretty good luck so far doing it this way.But I am going to try hookin em through the lips some.Makes sense that they don't tired themselves out by hooking them that way.Gonna try it for sure! Thanks

6. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have tried both ways but hooked through the mouth seems to work better for me. but i do more river fishing then lake fishing. hope this helps you!

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Current speed or lack of is a big factor with me as well as species of fish that I am targeting.Very small minnows are great bait when the Bream of all kinds are bedding as minnows eat their eggs and they will hit minnows.You now got Bigger fish bait!Bream bedding is a great location for catching,bait,Catfish,Stripers and any large fish that feeds on Bream.Folks seldom think of fishing for the bigger fish there but the big fish go where the food is.Even the smaller cats will take a bruising from a Bull Bream to get a mouth full of fish eggs even if they are not big enough to eat a Bream.Cut bait on the Bream beds would often take Rock fish(Striped Bass)or cat fish.I fished for the smaller ones with small bait and would still have a large one occasionally take your small bait or large Bream as you were pulling it in.Striped Bass were much like the Sharks of saltwater when on Bream beds.They would go for your hooked ones as easy prey.Catfish ain't far behind them and will often do so.Not only is there much food on Bream beds there are many fish that will take advantage of and feed on what is available.You have much of the food chain available there,from tiny egg eating forms to the largest in that particular body of water.

So a Redbreast hooked forward in the current or Bluegill hooked back aft in still water will often take Large Cats and Stripers in the bedding season in our southern rivers and lakes.I have hooked my share fishing for the smaller fish over the years,so I know that they are there.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

I love you Brothers and Sisters.Peewee

8. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Really, guys? I've always hooked my bait through the tail with pretty good success on strikes. I am def. gonna try hooking a few baits through the mouth this season and see if my hook up rate increases.So if i hear a crunching sound, did i go to far back??lol

9. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i usually always hook em thru the back behind the dorsal fin.Because i've had where i had a flat take my bait by the back and miss the hook set because i had it hooked thru the nose.it just peeled the scales off its back.

10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I am usually right under or behind the dorsal fin.

11. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    For you "lip hookers" ; what size and type hook are you useing ? I use a 5/0 Kahle. Just right for the tail but seems biggish for the lips. -Thanks

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You want your bait to struggle. Hook them so they do. That is what brings the big boys out, if it dies put another one on. A gill hooked through the lip is just going to sit there pointing down. If you are fishing fast current you might as well be using cut bait it would work better. Either scent and or motion attracts predator fish. A live gill just sitting there is way down the list. :wink:

13. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    if I am using live shad or herring I will hook them through the nose since they are so fragile but a bream or a perch will get hooked back by the tail so it will always be swimming up. a small bass will get hooked through the lips since they are so skinney.

14. Lookin for skipper

Lookin for skipper New Member

State:
    ohio
    hookin through the mouth also increases the life on your bait unless you reel em in too fast. I hook everything except bass in the lips just because they are more lively through the tail. I fish mostly lakes though

15. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    In heavy current i hook them through the lips. In light to no current i hook them behind the dorsal.

16. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if you hook them in the top lip and cut all of the fins off of one side, i gaurantee you they will struggle. the will swim right in a circle, and that will bring the big ones out.

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Fine for the BASS fisherman.Works great.Cat fish work on smell.Catfish feed in the deepest and darkest of water.Also the shallow.I do believe that a fish in distress gives off vibrations though.A hooked under the fin bait sideways to the current and not drifting with it is not a natural presentation.Still water it is fine.Fish face upstream in moving water everywhere I have seen them.Ain't seen a one sitting in one place sideways except bait hooked under the fin.Live bait struggles where ever they are hooked.Just look different.

Now fish decide what they are biting.Sometimes one way,sometimes another.I used and tried both ways because of this.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

18. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I put the hook through the back or the tail.

19. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I always hook them behind the dorsal fin.

20. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    A little trick I use with chubbs that don't stay alive is run the hook through the mouth and out the gills and hook the hook in the tail.In a good current it will kept the bait moving and you will get a hard bite so hang onto your rod.