hooking them holding flats

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Apr 17, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    learned how u can get flats all day and night by u finding them istead of waiting all night for a poll bening run but how do u know wen to set the hok on them the guid never explaned that , anybody pull 5 flats out a trip, ive seen twenty hokked in an 8 hour perid but there poll will not bend much , its new to me, im a all night waiter for them to find me , i need to get them in there house lol breaking and entering in a fltheads home, but them wont run whats the hook trick ,

2. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Most of the time I know when I got one is the rod just goes down real slow and hard. The other times my baitfish goes nuts poppen the end of the rod like a lil cat then goes still and I get slack line. Other than that I cant help.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i think it all depends on were your at wen do you decide to set that hook for holding flatheads if thepoll is just bouce do u set it, ive never fished for holding cats only once and i never even knew they were on , but thats how the guids do it they never get big bites and dont use circle hooks

4. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    tHE FLATS i'VE CAUGHT RARELY BURY THE ROD. SEEMS MOST OF THE TIME THEY PLAY WITH BAIT OR LINE GOES LIMP OR JUST TUG ON IT.

5. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Flathead will bite on one side of the river differently than the other in some cases. For instance I fish a log jam and all night they will rip line out right away very agressively, then I will fish a deeper hole with a sand bar in ajacent right across the river from the log jam and the bite there is almost undetected slow bouncing/line moving very slow in a different direction than where you previously had it. Either way the bite is going to differ through the season. Pick your poision with the hook selection IMO it is personal prefferance, I have caught flatties on the "slow bite" with many different types of hooks and they will all do the job, just figure out which one works best for you. As far as when to hook them when the rod just bounces.....Just pull!!!! if the rod is bouncing then the bait is already in their mouth, if you wait too long there is a good chance you will gut hook the flathead and end up with a dead or dying fish.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i always thoght it wil move off after a while so ill wait about ten minits real in and nothing so i dont know the big ones always took it like a train, but i may have missed alot of bites i thoght were current bait or channels , kind of wandering what to do

7. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    With some more time on the water you will start to get the pattern down bit by bit, it takes a long time to to even pattern your local waters, sometimes it could take YEARS!! just be patient and pay attention to everything.

You will eventually start catching more fish bro, flatheads are among the toughest fish to tackle in fresh water but with the endless time spent learning patterns ect. will pay off big time in the long run:wink:

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Jake if you are talking about fishing in the day time right in the snags, the fish are NOT gonna run. If you get a hit it's because you managed to put a bait right on its nose. They were already there and its a good ambush point, and they won't move off it. They will inhale and sit right there. Like stated above, you will have to watch your line/rod tip, for anything different. After a few trips fishing this way you will know when you get a hit. They most likely will be subtle, keep at it and watch. See something different set the hook. If you miss it probably wasn't a fish. Just keep trying till you connect. Then you will "know" what to look for.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    does anybody here fish that way,if they got it in there mouth they will be on ,right, im asuming, after that semanar i was thinking man 12 flatheads in a day ,me im lucky to get a big one in a year, but i also have no boat, but ill bet this could be the case with spillway flatheads

10. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Spillway flatheads tend to be a seasonal thing. Around here they are really only good early in the season when the fish move up to spawn.
    After that you need to find where they hold and they feed. Put a bait somehere in between there.:smile2:
    May be different in your area but that how it is over here, generally.