Hooking shrimp question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brinley45cal, Jun 30, 2006.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive never used shrimp before and i thought id give it a try.My question is how do you hook them?Id be using a kahle hook or a octopus circle,so i need to know how to hook them on both.Also shell on or off?And does it matter what type of shrimp it is?
    Thanks folks this is new ground for me Im a cut bait cured liver sort of guy.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I use a Kahle, I just run it in one side and through and back out same side. Kinda hard to explain, I will get a pic next time for ya.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I do most of mine shell on and threaded on the hook like a worm. I don't think that would work for ciccle hooks I would try going through the end of the shrimp and then back through the body.

4. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    Except for livebait on trotlines,I use shrimp almost exclusively.I go to walmart and buy raw shrimp.I put some in a baggie and soak them in vanilla.I soak some in garlic and keep some raw.On jugs,I use kahles.I start at the front and let the hook come out just before the tail.On r/r I like circles.I tear them in half and feed the hook through them.After a good hit,I start reeling the reel a couple of times before taking the pole out of it's holder.If you keep the shell on,it will stay on the hook better in swift water.Hope this helps.

5. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Ah you have just tapped into my favorite bait 1.raw 2.shell on 3.follow the shape of the srimp with the hook kind of like hooking up a grub with a jig head 4.always get shrimp not tiger shrimp or prawns some are farm raised the saltwater shrimp is second to none One thing is they seem to be a summer bait

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Thread 'em like a worm, though I usually don't use the whole shrimp, take off the tail part. I use both circles and kahles with shrimp and don't find much difference in baiting either type of hook. Shrimp is my go to bait, though now that I have a cast net, shad is gaining ground...cheaper. Look for your shrimp at Wally World, get the medium brown raw shrimp. At my WW, it comes in a purple bag. Can't go wrong with good bait for less than $5 a pound. I seperate mine into freezer bags and only take as much as I think I'll need. Usually get three or more trips out of a bag. As for shelling, shell or don't shell, I haven't noticed a difference.

7. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I like to hook my shrimp while they're still frozen. I hook them once across the back through the shell and leave as much hook exposed as possible. When they're frozen there's not much chance of slinging them off the hook. Once they thaw I run the hook through twice being sure to go through the shell both times.

8. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    With baitholder hooks you can run the hook all the way through the shrimp and let it come out of the tail with, in my opinion, one of the most secure casts. In other words the shrimp is probably not gonna fly off the hook like that. With circles or octupus hooks I just put the hook in on one side and out on the other. Experiment and see what works for you. Have fun.:confused2:

9. pursuit

pursuit New Member

State:
    CA
    Shimp, my favorite seafood and bait for Channel & Blue Cats. I only used half a shrimp peeled. I don't see a difference between using large or multiple shrimp to land bigger ones. I have landed 40+ lb. using only half a shrimp. Your chances for success are probably higher on smaller shrimp pieces. On larger shrimp or multiple shrimp, the cats seem to nibble or pick at them longer. I hook straight across with a regular "J" bait holder or live bait hook leaving the barb exposed. If you're concern with the bait falling off, you can try adding a couple of mealworms after the shrimp. This seems to be my favorite bait that produces with consistency.

10. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    Shrimp is always a fav bait of mine for channels, especially in the spring for some reason.

Get the fresh (uncooked) ones, head on is better, frozen is OK. You don't want them cooked at all. If they are orange, they have been cooked.

I just thead them right on a circle hook. Shrimp are sorta shaped that way anyhow. A 6/0 Gamakatsu circle is about the right size for a medium shrimp.
    Just start them on the hook in the end opposite the tail and work it around careful like, pop the point out of the shrimp's underside in front of the tail. Nice and weedless too!

The cats pick up that whole shrimp and crush it in the back in their mouths and swallow it as they are running off, leaving them with a bare circle hook in their throat. They hit that pole in the holder and the hook slides up and nails them right in the corner of the mouth every time. Too sweet!!

Circles and shrimp put a ton of big channel cats in my scrapbook this past spring.:wink:

11. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks a bunch guys your posts have been a huge help.You guys are the best.

12. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Just wanted to let you guys know that i went out yesterday and tried the shrimp.Man that shrimp was awsome,that was the first time i ever used shrimp my whole life.Ive always used the usual stuff,cured liver bluegill,nightcrawlers ect.I was flat out slaying them last year but this year ive been in some kind of funk so i figured i needed to change something,so i figured id start with bait and sense ive heard a few folks talk about shrimp on here i thought what the heck.
    Well i bought some took it out and put the cured liver on one pole and the shrimp on the other.They would barley even nip at the liver but just as soon as that shrimp hit the water they would hammer it,it didnt even have time to touch bottom before it was taking off across the lake, it was amazing.That stuff makes killer bait,its a little expensive but well worth it if you want to catch cats.I couldnt belive how effective it was,anyway i caught my limit,im out of the funk and its all because of you folks.Thanks a bunch.

13. trackeryak

trackeryak New Member

State:
    Mechanicsburg PA
    I've been using shrimp this year and found it to be better than anything else. I love catching bullheads for a fish fry. Saturday night I absolutely pounded the bullheads on shrimp. I cut the shrimp into 3 pieces - two body pieces and the tail. I use one piece at a time on a 3/0 or 4/0 Gamakatsu Finesse Wide Gap hook. I get the raw, uncooked shrimp at my local grocery store on sale for $7 a 2 lb bag. I usually get three trips out of a 2 lb bag so that is definitely not expensive.

I just start the hook in one end of the piece of shrimp and thread it on.

Last night it never sat on the bottom more than a few minutes. My wife and I wanted some catfish for a few dinners. In just a couple hours last night using shrimp, I kept 26 bullheads and threw many back. Shrimp flat out works!

The downside to using shrimp in one of my local lakes is that the large snapping turtles like it too so I had to deal with a couple of them last night.

Tim

14. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I don't peel mine and I thread them on the hook, starting at the head and coming out near the tail.

However, they have not produced for me this year (Yet :big_smile: )

15. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    personally i like to run the hook under that horn thingy that sticks out of their head with circle hooks but with J's or khales i'd just string em on the hook

16. cary

cary New Member

When using shrimp do you fish it on the bottom or off the bottom?

17. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN

That just "goes to show ya" that variety is the spice of life.

Never get hung up on just one bait, method or spot. You have to be diversive.