Hooking Shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by catfisherman369, Mar 29, 2008.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    When i hook up my shad i usually run the hook through both eyes that way i dont lose it on the cast . Is there a better way ? How do you hook yours . Catfish usually eat other fish head first ( so i hear ) .

2. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'll run the hook through the eyes then bring it back around and hook it through the body. Works pretty well for me.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    head first as a general rule. It really depends on how big the shad are. I like to go inside the mouth, run the hook out of the head area but not so far back that it is in the brain.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    That depends on what kind of shad and what Kind of fishing and cut bait or live.

I drift fish so I go through the nostrils, up through the roof of the mouth going out a nostril, or through the brain area where it's the thickest bone. I use fresh cut bait vs.. live most of the time, unless Flathead fishing.

-Jim-

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i always go through the eyes. it makes it look more natural in the current.

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Years ago, I was shown how to "Butter Fly Rig" my Shad, & some of the members here can tell you that "it works".
    :wink:
    You can find out how to do this in the B.O.C. library.
    :0a26::0a23:

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    This is how I was told to tie the "Butter Fly Rig":

Butterfly Shad Rig

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the most abundant and effective bait for catfish is shad. However keeping shad alive is quite a task. Frozen cut shad is hard to keep on the hook. This method is effective for both catfish and stripers. The idea is to have the shad resemble a wounded shad (shad tend to curl up when injured) and also provide blood and oil scent, which is the catfishes main way of finding food.
    1.Filet one side of the shad, but leave the filet attached near the head.

2. Insert the point of your hook (0/6 or larger is recomended).

3. Worm the hook through the side of the shad letting the point come out by the tail.

This works with fresh as well as frozen shad!
    You are good to go. Rigged this way your shad will stay on the hook and the cats seem to inhale it and run. When I get a bite, I get a fish!
    One last thing. Change your bait every 15 minutes or so.

:0a26:
    Take it Easy fellows,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"
    [/SIZE][/B]

8. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    when using whole shad, for me the best place is behind the eyes. there is a shiny spot and is hard has a rock. insert your hook through one side and out the other. i use this method when fishing swift water. if the water is calm i hook them behind the dorsel fin so they will stay alive. good luck.

9. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    do you hook the filet part or leave it flapping? i will try this. have seen it before but never thought of trying it. ive cut them every way but that one i think. thanks for the tip.

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Run your Hook in the "side still with the tail attached to the Shad" (the none fillet side), you want the filet side to flap in the water current.

Godd Luck Buddy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"