Hooking Livebait

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by ramon06, Jun 29, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I always read how people hook blue gills, gold fish, shad, etc etc through the anal fin, or above, below, behind the head, through the lips and all of that. I hook all my live bait through the eye sockets and I have never lost a fish once its hooked, is there something wrong with that method in a river or something? I have always observed Bass, catfish hit the the live fish head first, so why not through the eye sockets? I dont go through the eyes themselves, just the sockets. Just wondering, its working fine for me but I have never caught one hooked anyother way except shad I hook through the tail. I even hook my fish heads through the eyes or top of head. Thanks for helping :smile2:

2. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Your method is working, then no need to change it. Hooking them through the eyes will hold them on the hook well, but wont live near as long. Hooking a bluegill above the anal fin works good. Except if your fishing the rivers in strong current, it will drown the bluegills and any other fish species you use as bait. If you want to try a change, insert the hook into the mouth and out one of the nostrils.

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I always hook my live bait through the eye sockets , or the nostrils . I to have witnessed bass and cats taking the bait head first , so it makes sense to have the hook around the head area to me . I do not use whole live bait much so I am by far no pro at fishing live bait . I usually use cut bait . when using just a head I also hook through eyes or nostrils .

4. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Thank you Gentleman, and you are correct about not living long through the sockets, When I fish for bass its right over cover, no current and doesnt take more than a few minutes to get a bite. but in the river they get beat up pretty bad so I end up using the head and/or body for bait and tossing the tail. I havent tried through the mouth and out the nostrils but I will this weekend if I get to fish. Thank you again gentleman

5. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va

It may not need mentioning, but I've seen lots of people hooking through the lips, meaning Both. It may be over thinking on my part, but seems to me the bait lives much longer when only hooked through the top/and out the nostrils (I know you said "into", but you got me thinking about others) It sounds funny reading it, lol... Am I being weird? :eek:oooh:, I know I'd live longer :wink:

6. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Yeah I'll just try through the upper lip and out the nostrils, I do however hook my Eels through both lips cause I only hook it through 1 lip only once and the hook ripped through. I watched him fly off my hook on a cast and I was not happy :angry:. lol

7. Hunter1978

Hunter1978 Active Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Jamie
    I always hook mine trough the tail behind the anal fin because i get better hook sets like that. Cats eat bait head first most of the time i believe, so why have the line in the way, if he swallows the bait head first and gets that tail in him with out that line to interfere with your hook set. Aint saying theres a right way or a wrong way this one just produces better hook ups for me. Well yall take it easy and good luck :big_smile:

8. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    thanks for the advice and knowledge both hook ups have there points. I guess I will stick with whats working for me, if I lose a couple I will try the anal fin hook up :wink:

9. devildogcollier

devildogcollier New Member

State:
    Virginia by way of Alabam
    I always use the eye sockets in fresh water fishing......If it works for you use it !!