Hooking live bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Capt_Culver, May 5, 2008.

1. Capt_Culver

Capt_Culver Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know this has probably been discussed hundreds of times, but the search function didn't find anything. I have tried numerous times to keep bait alive in a river current. But, after I check the bait 30 mins later, they are always dead. What have you guys (and girls) found to be the best way to hook live bait in order to keep them alive? I have hooked thru the bottom lip, but I think this drowns them. Should I hook thru both lips? What about behind the dorsal fin or tail section?

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Josh .... I prefer hooking through the back at the rear of the dorsal fin or if using a samller bait through the tail. .... Garry-

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I hook them in the exact area that Garry does. Works great!

4. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i hook them in the back like garry when using a bobber.if it is a gill,or goldfish,on botton,i hook them up through the bottom under where i hook them from the top,that way the hook weight doesn't make them fall over.if it is a yellowbelly on bottom,i will hook it through the lips,won't hurt them a bit.

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    IAGREE WITH RETIRED TO FISH KEEPS MY BAITE ALIVE LONGER

6. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    in river: i hook through the lips or through the eyes(make sure that the hook doesnt penetrate between the eyes will kill gills really quick), this way the current does go backwards through the gills and killing them faster.

Lakes or slack water: i hook through lips, eyes, behind the dorsil fin, tail and they will pretty much stay lively.

also depends on the baits aswell some will stay alive alot longer than others, like hunted said yellowbellies are darn near impossible to kill, warmouths are tough ones too, gills i havnt found one way that will keep them alive the longest just try to make sure there lively when u get to where ur going and experiment.

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I prefer to hook all live baits through the upper lip and out between the "nostrils" this keeps the bait alive very well and allows the bait to swim freely about. Careful not to go too far back, it will kill the fish.

8. Vukhufu

Vukhufu New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I also prefer under the dorsal. I believe the trick is to find the sweet spot. By sweet spot I mean you want the hook to pass through only meat, too high or near the dorsal and you may get into the spine/backbone and although the fish may live its not likely to remain very lively for very long if you dont paralyze it right away. Too far below or away from the dorsal and you risk hitting vital organs the fish needs to sustain its life. Experiment and you should be able to find that sweet spot.

I like to unfold the dorsal and look at it. I take a visual measurement of the dorsal fin and stick the fish about 1/3 back and half that down in one side and out the other. Some prefer at the very beginning of the dorsal or at the very back but I like about 1/3 back and half that distance down. Works well for me regardless of the size of the bait.

Sometimes I am tempted to stray from this personal formula because I dont want to get too far from the dorsal for fear of fatally wounding the bait or getting too close to the dorsal for fear of paralyzing/killing the bait or losing it on first cast /sigh.

Anyway I'm no expert hehe, in fact ... I caught my very first flathead EVER last weekend in the Scioto River just north of Chillicothe at around 1pm on a 3 inch goldfish. It was 4.5 lbs and put up a hella fight for such a little guy! Thats why I'm here! I'm looking to catch more. Once the rest of my disposable tackle box camera shots are expended I'll use the shot of his release for avatar until I can hopefully upgrade it to a larger fish!

But on a sadder note and to hopefully help answer your question... the first goldfish I hooked in this manner I never got a bite on and it was still alive when I packed up camp about 12 HOURS later!!

Good Luck!

9. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    YUO FISHING HOPETOWN ROAD

10. Vukhufu

Vukhufu New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nope. I did drive down hopetown looking for access to the river but I found only a restricted indian mound thingy and a path/trench I wasnt willing to take my car through. I found my fishing spot via Google Earth! If you dont own a boat and are looking for a bank to fish from .. download Google Earth! and scout your local river from space! Sorry this got off topic....

11. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    Looks like a bass but I would say a bream would be similar

Attached Files:

12. Vukhufu

Vukhufu New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice pic Joe!

I hook em right about the "s" in "scales above lateral line"

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Hey Dominifitus, Welcome to the BOC. This site is full of good info and great people. I would stay away from that stretch of the Scioto no good fishing there:wink::big_smile::big_smile: Glad to have you on board

14. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i hook mine up thru the top of their mouths and out their nostril seems to stay lively for a good while

15. Vukhufu

Vukhufu New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks! Folks and friends call me Dom.

And I release all so no need to dissuade hehe. I have caught fish from the scioto with 3 eyes. I have caught channels from the scioto with only one whisker that was as long as the fish. I once caught a channel that looked like it had a bullet hole clean through its head. No idea what was going on there. I wouldnt eat a Long John Silver hush puppy that was dipped in that river .. much less keep any of em LOL.

I just enjoy the tug on the line and the passage of time.

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dom, I am sure glad you release your fish...Lots of people around chillicothe if they catch a good one it's off to the nearest paylake to be sold, which is illegal of course...About 5 miles north of hopetown rd is the mother of all catfish holes, I have not fished it in years, you need a boat to get to it.:sad2:

17. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I would have to say my best all around hooking is done from the mouth. Up the roof and out one nostril. A smaller hook can be used because there isn't much meat you have to go through leaving plenty of gap for a hook set...and smaller hooks are also lighter..This works great for herring.

A bream or something bigger are pretty hardy and drowning them is harder. I still hook them the same but a lot of times I will run a stinger hook also.

-Jim-

18. EZ__rider

EZ__rider New Member

State:
    ohio
    I like to run my hook parallel to the spine from the front of the fin the the rear of it. The advantage to this is when using small shad that eventually die they don't pivot head down on the hook. they stay parallel with the bottom and or surface. I also get pretty good hookups this way.

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Josh, I like hooking mine through the lower dorsel, towards the back end, where the curvature occurs for the tail. Reason being, when you hook in the middle of the back under the dorsel or the front, I have found when the fish runs with the bait alot of times the hook lays tru with the line, allowing the hook to embed back in the bait not the fish. By placing the hook at the farthest point back at the end of the dorsel it allows that hook to have limited area to hook back in the bait, allowing for a better hook percentage. This is why I quit using Kahles years ago. I run Gamu. j-stlyes mostly, and have no problem with hooking them this way...rollo

20. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    i hook mine towards the back of the dorsel and deep as i can without hitting the spine. i also find the farther back you hook them the more action the bait has. imho