Hooking live bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by strohcephus, Jun 11, 2007.

1. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Ok fellas, simply put, what is the best way to hook 3-5 inch live sunfish/bluegills while fishing a Katbobber.

I have had success catching some nice channels on a private pond by simply hooking a 4/0 Eagle claw red circle under the dorsel, but was hoping some of the "flattie" guys would have some better ideas?

Perhaps a double hook system?

Thanks in advance,
    Larry

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I usually always hook mine right in front of the top fin (avoid the backbone)..

3. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I HOOK THEM IN THE TAIL AREA AWAY FROM THE ORGANS THAT WAY THEY SEEM TO STRUGGLE MORE AND ARE EASIER FOR THOSE FLATTIES TO GRAB,LOL

4. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Is it better to cut the tail off or leave it on? Thanks for this post i have been wanting to know this myself!!!:big_smile:

5. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I am currently testing out a new hooking system for the Katbobber and carolina rig as well. I am snelling a 7/0 circle hook as a main hook, and then on the tag end about 4 inches down tieing on a medium to large treble hook. My idea is with the bobber to place the main hook behind the dorsal and then just embedding one of the treble hooks barely into the top of the head or side of the gill. Same with the carolina but I would be hooking the main hook behind the anal fin instead. I think that this should help my hook-ups on short strikers or just in general. I have not yet been out with me set up, so if you try it and it fails---sorry. But I do feel it is a good idea in principle, so we will see what happens

if anyone else thinks it is a good idea, please let me know what i should do different or better. And if you try it, let me know if it works.

6. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    i use a 7/0 red gamkatsu and hook it right in front on the tail and that way they can swim all they want and not die as quick

7. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    stop stealing my ideas!!!! take a three way swivle and put your main hook threw its head or lips(really just anywhere on the front part of its body) and tie that to one part of the swivle next take a slightly smaller legnth of line and put a treble hook or what ever hook your most comfortable with and put it threw its tail. i use this carolina style with a 1-2oz egg sinker.