Hooking live bait - which way?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Joe4BigCats, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Joe4BigCats

Joe4BigCats New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kans
    what would you say is the best way to hook a live minnow or shad.. to keep them alive the longest and with-out losing them right away.. like on a cast..??

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If I wanted to try and keep the minnow alive, I'd run the point of the hook through its lips, from the bottom to the top. However, you can still throw them off. I have found that on cats up to or slightly larger than the one in your avatar, it works to simply thread a large minnow on a hook like it was a worm... start at its mouth and turn the minnow to follow the bend of the hook, letting the point come out past the anal fin. You don't have to worry about keeping it alive, its hard as the devil to throw off, and it puts a scent into the water for the cats to follow.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    through the eyes work pretty good.:cool2:

4. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree through the eyes if your gentle you can work the hook through without damaging anything but there eyes.

5. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    on shad i always go just in front of the dorsel fin no lower than the kinda green line on the back

6. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    The way i hook my live bait depends on the bait and the fish Im after and the way Im fishing. If its a big shad,bunker,or herring live lined no weight its the eyes carefull not to pierce the eyes of course:wink: If Im fishing a slipfloat with a big shiner or bream its on the upper back just behind the dorsal fin same as if I was to use him bottom fishing. I used to hook my live lined baits through the lips but they just dont last as long Ive noticed as hooking through the eye sockets:big_smile:

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I just found a flaw in my presantation of my bottom fishing approach with live bait:confused2: I should be hooking them from the bottom of the bream behind the anal fin that would help the look and action of the bait:eek:oooh: Man I read that post and a light just went off :roll_eyes: My dumbutts been doin it wrong