Hooking live bait for fishing in current?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Brian D, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Newbie here,love this site and am looking forward to contributing as time allows.Cool to have all catfish folks on one site.I fish Robert s. kerr reservoir almost exclusively,have had great luck on the blue cats there on cut skipjack,but have been catching more and more flatheads(smallish) useing this same bait.My girlfriend is flying in from minnesota this weekend and we are gonna give the flatheads a go with live bait,goldfish,perch and shiners.I am aware of how to hook them in slack water conditions,but this lake has current in it as the corps of engineers finds neccesary.I am affraid the behind the dorsal fin hook up mite cause the bait to die as it fights the current.any other options?yall help a brother out,if I cant get her into a mess of cats,there will be no ice fishing for walleyes this winter for me!!!LOL.thanks for the help and will post an update on the fishing on kerr every time i go

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Brian, let me be the first to Welcome you to the BOC

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Brian... Welcome to the BOC!

I live in Gore and need a fishing buddy every once and a while. I've been guiding on Kerr and Webbers Falls lake now for the past several years.

I recommend using an octopus style hook with thin wire for live bait. With a scalefish like shad, sunfish or crappie in the current, hook the bait lightly through the eye sockets without puncturing the eye. If you use my personal favorite flathead bait (bullhead), hook from inside the mouth up into an area just behind the mouth through the thin bones there.

The bait will remain lively for quite some time unless a flathead discovers it.

If you'd like to get together with me, send me a PM.

4. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Welcome to the BOC. I like to hook live bait in the mouth of just behind the eye socket.

5. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Brian
    Welcome to the BOC "the greatest" from Nebraska. No tips on hooking the bait, but recommend hooking on tight to that girlfriend that fishes with you. They are not all that common a species. Luck

6. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I hook in the meat between the tail and the dorsal in current ,keeps them lively and I get good hook-ups.I think it is a matter of opinion though,I know alot of guys who catch alot of fish ,alot of diffrent ways.Try'em all till you find what works for you,hope you catch a bunch!

7. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Brain,Welcome to the BOC. I hook them in the Eye's or through the bottom lip out the bone at the top of there mouth, Id ride with Albert on this one he is a Pro!!!!!!

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    In one nostril and out the other, that holds them pretty darn good for me in the Mississippi River.