Hooking goldfish for catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jerellman, May 13, 2006.

1. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    can anybody tell me how to hook a live goldfish?

2. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    Depends on what your usin them for and how large the goldfish is.
    For a 3 inch goldfish Use a very large blue gill hook through the lips.
    For a 6 inch+ goldfish hook it through the back of the tail.

3. catmancats

catmancats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ya i usually hook all my bluegills through the lips, but i normally try not to use anything over 4"

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Jerell, as Raven indicates they aren't quite like other fish. The nose gets real tough to run a hook through when they get big. I think the nose gets kind of brittle also, but it has been a while. I hook through the eyes or the tail. Through the eyes is better than trying through the nose as I recall.

5. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I always hook them right in front of the tail.

6. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    thanks for the tips guys, ill try it out soon.

7. NODAKCARPER

NODAKCARPER New Member

State:
    NORTH DAKOTA
    Fishing with GOLDFISH is illegal in many states. It comes with a very fine since they grow into large CARP and propagate very easily.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If it were me, And theres current I don't think I would hook them in the tail. but if like a minnow. hooking them in the eyes would not let the bait see the fish and run. but still fight.
    Pete

9. Kingcatter

Kingcatter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Is there really any proof of fishing with Goldfish being illegal?

I've heard this many times from other people in Ohio, and there's no laws stating they can't be used. Bait shops even sell them as bait. At least in Ohio, it's just heresay of being illegal, but the reasoning for describing them as so is similar to what you stated. That argument can go both ways though. Many say a goldfish that gets away can destroy a firm ecosystem. However, it's hard to say this would happen since they basically are a small carp and will just grow into a carp when they get older.

There's also an argument that goldfish tear up spawning areas of other fish, but I don't think this has been proven to my knowledge. Also, even if a goldfish does "get away" when being used for bait, it's being used for bait for a reason. It's likely not going to live long swimming around freely.

With that said, it's still a safe bet to look into laws in your states though. Better safe than sorry. Also, the best spot that I've found and use is, as others have stated, just in front of the tail where it meets the body.

10. reel pleasure

reel pleasure New Member

State:
    New jersey
    If the current is not really strong,i like to run the hook through the mouth and out the eye socket..........
    Not the actual eye,but between the flesh and the eye itself.Will help keep the bait alive longer and lets them have a more natural presentation.