Hooking goldfish alive?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by varmint_sniper, Mar 6, 2009.

1. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Hey yall was wondering how yall hooked ur live goldfish from 4in to 15in goldfish i got a place i can get free goldfish and i get all sizes up to 15in any over 15in i have to put back in her pond she wants the big ones to look at. but when i hook them and try to cast them they tear off and was wondering what i was doing wrong i hook them behind the top fin 1/2 back to the tail like i do live bluegill but they dont stay on like bluegill thax...will

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hook mine at the back of the dorsel and alittle deeper then some other baits. As long as you are using a wide gaped hook, you should be ok. I know what you are saying about them tearing, but with a smooth cast, not overcasting them, you should be able to keep em on:wink: Thats pretty sweet you have a place to get them for free.. Goldfish are pretty darn expensive baits these days!! rollo

3. JKrupp

JKrupp New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have used goldfish once before and thats how I hooked them as well but with a little better luck I guess. You could always try hooking them a bit closer to the dorsal fin so there is a little more meat to hook into.

4. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    gold fish are a very active bait...I like hooking them at the tail so they can swim, shake and shiver.... thats my story and im stickin to it :smile2::smile2::wink:

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I don't fish goldfish but I'll hook live mooneyes and shad (and even cut bait heads) in one nostril and out the other. Theres a tough piece of cartilage in there that holds pretty good and this method leaves a lot of hook exposure. Worth a try.

6. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I don't use goldfish as it is a non native species and the dnr could ticket me for it, depending on the person and mood he is in. I would much rather use a gill or bass instead.

7. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    JOE, i called ohio dnr and asked if i could use goldfish and they said anywhere in ohio was legal as long as they didnt come from a pet shop. there just a form of carp is all

8. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    read responce # 7.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89080

9. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    read rely # 7.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89080

10. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Never go by what they tell you over the phone, go by what is in writing. Send an email and keep it with you and see if it will keep you out of trouble if you run into one of Gary's old freinds.

11. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    darn thing double posted on me.

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I hook the big 1 to 2 pounders through the side of the mouth.

The smaller fish I hook behind the dorsal fin.