Hooking fish finder to battery

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Seth, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Ok I feel dumb for even asking this, but what connectors do you fellas use for hooking the positive and negative of a fish finder to a battery? My Lowrance 17m didn't come with any clips or anything, just the ends of the wire's stripped for something to be put on.

I was thinking of putting gator clips on the ends so that I could hook it up and unhook them quickly. Would this cause any issues with interference or properly powering the fish finder?

Also thought about using ring connectors, but I couldn't find any with a ring big enough to fit the battery hookups. Would I have to get a bus bar to do it this way so they fit?

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You should be able to find the ring terminals at an electrical supply house or automotive store. For rings with a 3/8" or a 1/4" hole in them you'll probally have to go up to a 10-12 wire size stacon. (yellow insulation)
    The barrel is too large for the small wire of a depth finder but you can add filler wire in the barrel before crimping.

You would be better off to go with the busbars that attach to the battery terminals for longevity of trouble free operation.

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Mark's absolutely right but are you talking about the big lead terminals like a top post car battery or the threaded top posts of a marine battery?

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    What ever you do, make sure you wire in that fuse holder and fuse they gave you.I find ring connectors at West Marine or any boat store.:smile2: