Hooking Cut bait ???

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by LittleRiverBigFish, Jul 13, 2006.

1. LittleRiverBigFish

LittleRiverBigFish New Member

State:
    Iowa
    So I'm giving cut bait a whirl and have some questions. What is more important- concealing the hook so the fish isn't spooked by it or leaving the hook more exposed for a good hookset? Or is there a happy medium?

Also, how big do you cut your chunks? I had a good run last night on a 1" wide section (top to bottom) of bluegill cut right behind the head including the guts. This came from a 5-6" bluegill. Fish hit the bait hard and fast and somehow the reel went into gear (had clicker on) and when the line went tight, the fish dropped the bait. I was using a 3/0 kahle hook, which in hind sight may have been too small for the size of bait I was using.

2. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I tend to expose the point. If a scale from the bait gets in the way it can cause havoc with the hookset.

If you ever use circle hooks you MUST expose the point or you won't get a hookset.

For the bait of that size 3/0 doens't sound too bad. I use 5/0 khales as a general rule, but I also usually use 3" to 7" shad whole (and bluegill up to 5").

You had something happen that happens here all the time. As soon as the fish feels the pressure of a pole they drop the bait.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Exposing the hook point is a must for hook set. You dont want to miss a fish.

Jack had a great post with pics on here, let me see if I can find it.

4. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
  5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    A hook will not spook a cat, expose the hook. Usualy cut a shad in 3 sections, head , middle and tail section. Don't forget about shad guts, a real good bait.

6. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Do ya'll think that the color of the hook makes any difference when so much of the hook is exposed?

7. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nope, it is so darn murkey and dark down there they cant see the hook. Just a ploy to get our money.

8. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's about the size of it. In very clear water red looks black when you get about 10' deep.

A shiny hook may have an influence (good or bad) on fish compared to a dull finish, but other than that there really isn't much difference.

9. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah that's what I think too.

10. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I always expose the hook tip. Catfish aren't as line and hook shy as some other kinds of fish are!

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

expose the hook point and I try not to have the center of the hook completly filled with bait. It maybe just me but I feel like I have a better perent of hook-ups when the hook has a little room to move around on the hook.

12. LittleRiverBigFish

LittleRiverBigFish New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Success!

Went back out again on Friday, tried a bluegill head this time- hooked through the lips and out the nostril so had plenty of hook exposed. After about 20 minutes of fishing, clicker goes off on a good run, then stops. I let the rod be and about two minutes later, off it goes again. Pick up the rod, wait till he takes off again and bam, 4-1/2 lbs. Not my biggest but fun and a sense of accomplishment nonetheless.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, from now on its big hooks with plenty of point exposed!

Good fishing!

13. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    nice fish thanks for makin this thread i also was wondering how to them