hooking bullheads

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jun 18, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im having a problem , im in a cooling lake its hot,my bluegill are not living on the hook, never had this problem ever, so im going to try bullheads, for flatheads were and what stle of hook is right for them i never used them, but this water is hot, but if channels are active flats will be to,

2. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I use a Gammakatsu octopus 7/0-9/0 or 9/0 king kahles. Hook them right under(behind) the adipose fin(the fleshy fin behind the dorsal) MAke sure you cast delicately or lob them in, or they'll tear off. GOOD LUCK BROTHA':wink:

3. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    If the water is so HOT that it is killing bluegills, maybe you need to back way off the hot water discharge. That sounds like the water temps are above a flatheads comfort zone even. Just a opinion as I don't know your area, sounds too hot for cumfort even for a flathead.

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I hook em halfway between the dorsal and the tail and down enough to hold em good. I put a little more work into keeping the gills alive til I get em to the river during hot weather,but I haven,t had a problem once there.Are you keeping your gills in the water your fishing,they shouldn,t be getting too hot then.:big_smile:

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea this is not normal, the water is boiling them, im at the cool end to,i might have to go to another location, but if the channels are going wild ,on cut heads, i know the flatheads shuld, but i just cant keep them living, the waters like 85, what about hooking a bullhead throgh the lips

6. sbrittharrell

sbrittharrell New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I also hook all my mudcat (bullheads) between the two backbone fins. Have caught many cats that way. I also clip the fins it slows the bait down and the fish can catch its prey easier. More fish makes since...... just a mississippi country boy talking here.. I do alot of trotlining with my dad and thats all we use.... bullheads the best flathead bait ever if you ask us. We also use alot of Sunperch or Pond Perch......

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    so would a circal hooke be better or a big kael, i never used them ever,will lip hooking them do me bad, it seems that would be the best place to hook them

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i personally don't like to hook any bait thru the lips, i like to hook them toward the tail above the anal fin and that way when the bait swims they swim up off the bottom, hooked in the lip the bait wants to swim downward and hide on the bottom

9. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Hooking them in the lips is only good if your fishing heavy current, through the tail/back in heavy current will drown them.

10. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    the water is not boiling nothing lol if it's only 85 degree :smile2:You really need to start trying different style's of fishing and rigging

11. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    GET YOU A SMALL WATER BOTTLE AND FREEZE IT THEN ADD IT TO YOUR BAIT BUCKET IT WILL HELP THEM ALOT.CAN'T REALY SAY ABOUT ONCE YOU USE THEM FOR BAIT THOUGH\.IF THE WATER IS TO HOT THE LAKE MIGHT HAVE A THERMOCLINE ON IT AND YOU MIGHT NEED TO FISH HIGHER UP WITH A SLIP BOBBER OR SOMETHING.

12. Lignum

Lignum Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have tried both the Kahle and Circke hook with bellys. I have found that the bellys are much more active, stronger, and more apt to move around a ton more than gills. I can watch my bellys cross zipcodes all day long, even with 1 1/2oz of weight and a 4 inch katbobber with a 16 inch straw.

With the Kahles, the bellys tend to work the hook back out, just because of the way the hook is shaped. Tie a kahle hook and them hang your keys on the hook and see how the hook hangs. Essentially the belly is pulling his body against the barb and point.

The wide gap circles had no problems, and had the same hook up for me.

Same sized hooks, 8/0.

This is just my experience with them over the past few times I went out, hope it helps out. :big_smile:

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Who cares if the bait is alive or not? Flats will hit cut bait if they are around. If you're where the fish are they will bite dead bait. Also, if it's a cooling lake the 85 water temp is nothing. I've caught them out of 105 degree water so they can handle it. Also, are you getting your bluegill out of the lake itself? If not that's your problem. Get there early enough to catch some gills there and they won't die, that's where they live:big_smile:

14. Carl

Carl New Member

State:
    WV
    I had a problem keeping my bait alive in the bucket with a bubble box when it got hot. I solved the problem by buying a bait basket, once I get to the river I dumb the bait in the basket and toss it in the river, fresh water flowing through it all the time. Oh yea, don't forget to put a rope on it so you can pull it back in when you need bait. LOL

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    YES THERE OUT OF THE SAME AREA, BUT THEY WILL NOT WORK DEAD, NOT HERE, THE CHANNELS GET THEM WEN THEY DIE IVE NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM

16. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    If your bullheads are dying on the hook because the water is too warm, then you are fishing in entirely the wrong area.

Increased water temp holds less oxygen, fish will become lethargic and eventually die. If that is the case, this is no area where fish will be, and if they are, they sure wont' be trying to eat, they will be in survival mode.

These warm water discharge areas are the place to be in the cooler months, but not so much when the water is already warm.

There is cooler water somewhere in the area. Look for a deeper hole and or a natural spring.

I can also tell you this, if the bullhead is dying in the water, it's not because of the bullhead, they will outlive any type of bait. If they are dying, nothing else will survive.

I use a 7 gallon bucket and can keep 30 to 40 alive all night long with an inverter and 110v aquarium pump with dual airstones. When the temps get really warm I will switch over to a cooler and as a last resort will put frozen pop bottles in to cool the water.

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    no my bnullhead ar not dieying my bluegill, are lol

18. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Bullhead are definitely the heartiest baitfish that I know of but a few other options that I've had good results keeping lively thru tough conditions are Goldfish and Green Sunfish or Warmouth.

19. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    WARMOUTHS ARE THE BEST THEIR IS BUT, THEIR NOT AS MANY WERE I FISH, I CAN GET THEM IN A LAKE CLOSE BUY BUT, ITS OUT OF MY WAY SO I USALY STICK WITH WHAT I CATCH, ROCK BASS WARMOUTH , THE SAME I THINK,THEY ARE THIKER AND GOT A BLUE LINE AROUND THE MOUTH