hooking baits

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by MillvaleMauler, Aug 12, 2009.

1. MillvaleMauler

MillvaleMauler New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I'm new to targeting cats, i've caught them over the years by dumb luck but only recently i've been setting up strictly for them (don't think i'll look back either haha). I've only used creek chubs as bait so far and i plan on trying bluegill soon. I hook them through the eyes and then right under the dorsal fin, and it's working out pretty well for me, i was just wondering if any of you guys would recommend a different way to hook the bait.

thanks

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC brother. Well no those are really the only best ways to hook em.. to stay lively longer, you can check in the member library for strict detailed information on this sport. We also have several great BOC members on here that will post to this thread and help you out. Were glad to have you and hope you find everything you need. Hope those bluegills bring ya some hosses, and if your lookin' for the most detailed info on catfishin' youve sure picked the right place! Enjoy it and start postin man - AJ

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Here is a few ways I hook bait...welcome to the BoC.

dorsal fin= fishing straight under the boat or on a bobber. Used w/live.

behind anal fin= for live bottom fishing

Eyes= use on bottom or under a bobber. I keep in mind they will die soon.

Brain/skull= For dead baits, especially if I'm using frozen bait or herring. It's most solid part of any bait, followed by the eyes.

Nose= usually do this while using thinner wire hooks and live herring.

-Jim-

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I put em under the dorsal fin when fishing suspended under bobbers in lakes and through the nose or eyes when fishing live in the river. I figure in the river they are going to be fighting current anyway. If you hook em through the eyes or nose they will looks sort of alive even after they die if there is current.

5. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Welcom to the site hope we can help.

I'm with Jim.

the only thing different for me is in current I hook live gills thru the mouth and come out underneath the eye in the gill plate. if I hook them in under the anal fin in current they get turned around and die pretty quick.Thru the mouth they stay facing the current and can breath.

Fishin dead water for sure the anal fin.

Take care and good luck.

6. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    WELCOME. I can't speak for fishing in lakes but in current, i like going into the mouth then out the top of the head in front of the brain so i dont kill my bait. If you go through both lips it can clamp your bait's mouth shut and drown it. I have tried hooking through the back below the dorsal fin but in current this can kill your bait quicker. Also, hooking through the nose lets the bait stay streamlined and fluttering in the current as if it was alive once it dies. (somebody already mentioned this.) Like jim said, once it dies, if you want a more solid place to hook your bait of if youre chunking with heads, just punch the hook through the top of the head/skull. Very hard to lose your bait doing this but will kill live bait.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    nobody mentioned in the forehead for current. i like it there because of the amount of meat to hold the hook. you can cast them a long ways hooked there too! for SLACK water, above the anal fin as said. thats my all time favorite way for live ones, at the rivers edge. dorsal fin if under a balloon.

good post by all

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gary Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Welcome to the BOC Gary!:0a25:. I hook my bait below the dorsal and a little bit back,I do it this way no matter how I,m fishing.Works for me.:wink: