Hooking bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by janton311, Jun 15, 2006.

1. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I was just curious what everyone thought was the best place to hook a perch or shad to keep them alive the longest and for getting a good hookset. I've tried through the head and the tail any suggestions.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Very light in the back, right under the dorsal fin.

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I either hook them shallowly (1/8 in) deep in the snout, or about 1/8 inch below the dorsal fin as well... seem to keep them alive the best and I have had very little problems with bait falling off of the hook

4. fourteenfootcat

fourteenfootcat New Member

State:
    Big Spirit Lake, Iowa
    ...a little secret is... let them bleed a little via cutting a little mark right between the dorsal fin and the tail. Don't go too deep, but I've never had a problem with this tactic and survival rates of my bait. Lobbing the cast is what makes the difference. Throwing any bait, anywhere, means dead or no bait when it hits the water.

Soft (rod) tip, stiff butt. This sentence can be used in other facets in life as well, but we won't go there on here because this is a family channel. Satisfaction guaranteed on your Pocket Fisherman. :cool2:

J.

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Janton, when I hook my bait live, current plays a role in how I hook it. If I'm fishing areas with heavier current I will hook it threw the mouth and come out right between the eyes. If I'm fishing little or no current I prefer to hook it right behind the dorsal fin. Vern

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    head and dorsel fin are good areas.butt i hook them in the anal fin area in slack water. i think it allows them to act more natural. it dont ware them out as fast as hooking them in the top of there body,assuming your useing a bottom rig. when they are hooked in the anal fin they can strugle and stay in an uprite position and seam to thrash a bit more.(that is a plus) jmo

7. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    I usually hook them through the eyes seem to work for me:crazy:

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

sounds like all these guys have you covered, but I don't think hooking your bait through ther eyes will help to keep it alive any longer

9. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Thanks guys :big_smile:

10. Katfever

Katfever New Member

State:
    nc
    Try hooking through the upper lip and come out the snout. This keeps it on the hook with grissle from the lip and the nose and also lets it breathe normally .

11. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i like right behind the dorsal fin but really its up to you