Hooking Bait (shad)

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by renji2476, May 13, 2009.

1. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I have been using shad for a while but always in the 2" to 4" range and I always hook them through the eyes then back to the body. I just found where to go where I have been catching shad in the 9" to 11" size. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to hook them so that they won't really come off of the hook. :confused2: I have about 20 in the freezer and want to make the most of what I have so as not to waste any. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!:smile2:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Take a needle and thread through them like a salt water fisherman does his bait. Then add the hook under the thread into the fish.

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    for big shad if there frozen or dead i cut them up for bait, if they are alive i've found the best way to keep them alive, at least a little while, is to hook them through the top lip and out one nostril. if your trolling with planer boards alot of guys i know hook them through both nostrils.
    chip

4. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Thanks Guys!!! I am going to try them both!!! I'll tell you how I do this week end! Thanks again!!!

5. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    I usually cut fillets from the larger ones and then hook them so they wave at the fish in the current .... It seems to be irresistible to them and I prefer them to the 2-4" whole shad .... I can't say the best way to hook a live one because it's illegal to use or even possess live shad in Iowa .... You can't use carp either although suckers, redhorse, and buffalo are OK