Hooking a Gar?

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by floundahman, Feb 15, 2007.

1. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I admit that I haven't purposely fished for gar, but I did catch one last summer. When the gar move into the river that I fish they tear up every bait I put out. When using live bait they bite the heads off. They attack the bait real hard but when I try to set the hook.....nothing. I've seen posts about rope baits, can someone help me out with that. What is a rope bait? And how do you hook a fish who's mouth is nothing but tooth and bone? Any help would be appreciated.

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i tied some nylon rope about 18" long to end of my line and smeared some DK punch bait on it. NO HOOKS! the gar will bite it and get their teeth all hung up in it. we use this method to get the gar out of water. we have also just laid some frayed rope into the water and they will get mouth hung on it for no reason.
    we kill all gar we catch so they get no sympathy from me

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The punch bait is a new one. Think I'd put a couple of 4/0 J hooks in the rope it just in case a catfish comes along and takes the bait.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I don't understand why people want to kill gar, they do no or little harm to the cat fishery and, in fact, in some lakes, provide catfish with feed during the gar spawn, both from eggs and baby gar. Sure, they can be a nuisance when fishing for catfish, but if there are that many gar, its time to move on. Let 'em live.

5. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I heard they are complaining about stealing their bait while they fishing for other fish that what they want to catch... Last September I caught 40" longnose gar, then I released him... Let' em live and grow bigger..

Here I use 3"-5" dead or live bluegill, but it's hard because they are still chewing as long...

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i kill the gar because they r in our stock tanks. the creeks flows about 2ooyrd away from the tanks and when it floods the tank gets stocked with gar, bad thing for bass and perch.

7. sw2324

sw2324 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here is the setup i use for gar:

18" leader
    large hook
    12 inches of nylon twine
    large bobber
    bluegill, minnows, shad

Put the hook on your leader. Tie 2 pieces of unravelled nylon twine above the hook. This should give you abouve 6 pieces of twine now. Bait with one of the above about a foot below a large bobber. Leave plenty of slack in the line. When the bobber takes off like a torpedo just wait until all slack is gone and pull back. The twine will rap around the gar's snout and you never have to set the hook. Reel it in and have fun.

8. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Ive caught many gar on a regular ole bait hook, the trick is that jaw breakin hook set you see on bass fishin shows. Give it a try. You will see it work, I promise

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    That's understandable.

10. cmhanks

cmhanks New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I have only caught small ones fishing for bass, and would kill them but when I found out they don't really hurt the bass population I quit.

11. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I keep a spool of thread in my tackle box for when the gar are biting.I just bait up like usual with a minnow or cutbait and wrap it all up in thread and viola! rope bait that can still catch catfish :)

12. Techno2000

Techno2000 Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    I use a small #8 treble hook on the bottom, with a small piece of shrimp.
    let the gar run, so the fish will swallows it, then set the hook.

13. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I catch gar on the Arkansas River using crankbaits, the trick is don't set the hook until the gar has run several feet with the bait, that way it gets it far enough into its mouth to get hooked. Also use plastic crankbaits, wooden one don't last very long.

14. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What I do is let them swallow the hook. They have to swim around for about 5 mins, yes it takes some patience. All you want to do is set the hook but if you don't wait it will come right out. Use strong trebles or kahles.

As far as rope lures I have made a couple but haven't got the chance to use them yet. I read that you have to let the gar shake its head to tangle the rope fibers, and do not jerk the line because there is no hook to set.

tight lines

15. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    True, I wait until the rod loads before lfting the rod and cranking (like you would fish a circle hook). I'd say that my hookup % is probably 95% or so using this method.

16. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    I use this and also besides going straight up with the Rood, I will swing it fron side to side. to catch it in the tissue instead of bone or teeth.

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Getting them hooked is usually pretty easy, Getting the hook back is the hard part:lol: .

18. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Love to catch them Gar Fun fun fun:tounge_out:

19. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use a small treble set in the back of a shad or menhaden. Flip two rods out back of the boat (when fishing from boat) with floats set about 2' deep and the cast and drift to the sides, leaving the line slack so the fish doesn't get tipped off when she picks it up. Let the fish run about 30 seconds and then stick it to them. I use a shorter amount of time because it keeps the small fish from being hooked(more bait time in water), and still gives a big gar enough time to scarf the bait down to the hook. The treble helps because if the hook slips, its got a better chance of hooking back somewhere long enough to get the fish to the net.

20. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I've caught many gar using a method that I haven't seen mentioned here. A guitar string. Make a small snare, by passing one end through the loop on the end of the string. On the other end, using pliers make a small loop that you can attach you line to by using a snap swivel. On the snare end of the string place a small bend in the wire to hold the snare open. Thread the guitar string through a shad or bluegill then run it through the lower loop to make your snare then hook the snap swivel to the other loop. Fish it under a bobber about a foot deep. When the gar takes it just give it a nice steady pull and the snare will close right up on him and the teeth prevent it from slipping off.