Hooking a CATFISH!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CatswithBats, Nov 8, 2006.

1. CatswithBats

CatswithBats New Member

State:
    Cali
    Well when ever i get bites it seems i pull the bait/hook right outta their mouths. What are some good tecniques to fully set the hook on these cats!!!!! Thank you.

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    j-hooks the bigger the better and let the fish load it up . timeing is the key when the fish is on the move with line set the hook

3. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    are they smaller cats? When targeting small channels I like a treble hook, a much better hookup ratio.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Try Daichii bleeding baits wide gap hooks. When the bite is slow and picky, this is what I use. Have had excellent results.

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Circle hooks and J hooks are in my arsenal, depending on the size of the cats, adjust hook size to fit the targeted fish. Like recently stated, try and let the fish hook themselves, let them load up on it, then make your move and set the hook. But if they are biting lightly, let them hit at it once, then gently pick the rod up and let a little slack out and stay very still with the rod in hand. When you see that line start to stretch back out, set the hook.

6. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    You learn something new everyday, so what is a j-hook. Is it just another name for bait holders. Thanks Darryl

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I felt like drawing. Had another drawing with a few different hooks, but it was in bit map, not jpeg, so I couldn't post it on here. Anyway, I drew this over a photo so I could post it. This is what eagle claw calls their j-hook. There may be others.

Attached Files:

8. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use Kahle hooks for pole fishing cats. 2/0 and 3/0 for shad and cut bait. 6/0 for live perch. Use a very sharp hook" get a file or a stone" let the fish load the rod and set it then. If you talking about small fish a treble hook will work if you want to catch them. I move on if the little bait snatches come in.

9. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Little brother,It sounds like maybe you just need to get out there and get so time in on the lake or river.As time go's by you will get it just hang in there and log in so time on the water you will get it.when the tip go's down you pull back and if you fill it there (if he is on you will know it)then start reeling it in.That is it now just fine tune it to what works and fills good to you.This hole thing is about what work for you.....Patrick......

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Trebles are a pain to deal with. As for smaller catfish and hooks, I use mostly 5/0 Kahle hooks. My last trip, caught a 4" cat on one. It went in his mouth with no apparent trouble. My hookup rate is very good with Kahles no matter the size of the cat.

11. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I've had terrible luck with kahles (altho I know a lot swear by them) with J's I do O.K. but honestly I like circles. Use a #4,5,or even 6 if they are smaller cats,( I've caught small ones on #8's tho) and let them load it up plenty. Circles practically set themselves so your timing doesnt have to be so perfect.Let'em get it good and in their to load the rod (or run with the clicker on a minute) then just point the rod at the fish and reel.

Different strokes for different folks- try'em all see what works for you

12. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I've had much better luck with kahles than any other, when fishing with live gills. I was having the same problem once using treble hooks and liver. They were pulling the liver off the hook. If you use a lot of liver, I think the smaller cats will many times just pull if off, unless you use thread, panty hose, or something else. I like those hooks with the little springs that hold the bait on when using liver.

13. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    this is my opinion but circle hooks are junk just as charles said wait for the fish to load up the rod then set the hook i always pull to the side when setting the hook rather than straight back something my grandpa taught me when i was a kid if targetting smaller fish 20 and bellow i will just give a quick jerk but if targetting big fish i will set the hook ( in my brothers words ) as violently as possible ( meaning very fast with a huge swing of the rod )

14. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    I use the hooks attached, Short Shank Wide Gape Super Strong and needle sharp. The best part about these hooks is that they are not chemically sharpened so you can file a point again and again with a dimond hook stone.

I loose literally a handfull of fish per year and out of that handful the hook is never the culprit. I shall put some up in my Sponsors page with some special BOC discount for you all to see if they do as well for you as they have done for me.

Tightest Lines to You

Attached Files: