hooking a bluegill

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by lunatics, Aug 2, 2008.

1. lunatics

lunatics New Member

State:
    NC
    i was wondering how you guys hook your bluegill or bream when you are using them for bait? which way is the best way to hook them so they can stay alive the longest? thanks in advance...............

2. kayakcattin

kayakcattin New Member

State:
    texas
    i usually hook them right through the center of thier back or in the tail! it just depends on how you want to do it. they will stay alive all night this way.

3. ATTICUS_BUDDY

ATTICUS_BUDDY New Member

State:
    mn originally now NC
    i also hook them through the back i also scale them a little and some times scissor the back tail off it makes them swim in disstress causing more vibration. hope this works for yea take care

4. kayakcattin

kayakcattin New Member

State:
    texas
    ido that sometimes also. btu for some reason latley i've been on this shad kick.

5. ATTICUS_BUDDY

ATTICUS_BUDDY New Member

State:
    mn originally now NC
    i also have been on the shad kick when they are running i use them

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Here is a question of great debate. Most on the BOC prefer to hook them in the back. I hook mine thru the upper lip and out between their "nostrils". Be careful not to go too far back.

My logic is that Flatheads (I only use live bait for flatheads) eat their food head first! I want my hook in his mouth, there for my hook goes on the nose!

7. ATTICUS_BUDDY

ATTICUS_BUDDY New Member

State:
    mn originally now NC
    good point. never really thought of it that way

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've started hooking mine through the eyes.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Everyone has a theory and way that they think works best, and a lot depends on the hook type you use also. Try some different ways and you will settle on what you like and works for you and your set-up.

I hook through the back. I started going between the dorsal fin and the head instead of the middle of the back. The fish seem to stay alive better and are less stressed, thus more active.

I don't like hooking near the tail. Bream get really wild when they first get thrown out there and I have lost too many of them by hooking in or near the tail.

"...My logic is that Flatheads (I only use live bait for flatheads) eat their food head first! I want my hook in his mouth, there for my hook goes on the nose!..."

My problem with that is many times the hook tip will roll into the bait protecting the tip and prevent a good hook set, at least that is what I have experienced. Maybe if I used "J" hooks it would be different. If you are catching fish then STICK WITH IT!!

10. lunatics

lunatics New Member

State:
    NC
    thanks guys