Hookin the bait.

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by bigkane, Jul 10, 2009.

1. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I just recently started using live bait and haven't had any luck just yet. I've been hooking them in the middle under their spine. Is this a good spot? Also what size bait is the best. The bait shop gave me some huge goldfish about the size of a good pan size bluegill, too big? How do you keep a float from moving everywhere with the live bait on?

2. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I hook my live bait in the tail and it works pretty good.I fish them on bottom though I have never used a float for live bait.I think the idea of using live bait on a float is so that it can move around.

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    The hole purpose of a float is so the bait cane move around trying to find a hiding place rather than just hiding in brush or under a rock.

4. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    Good I thought I was doing something wrong with the float. If your bottom fishing with live bait how do you keep it from wrapping up your line.

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I just keep most of the slake out of the line and keep an Eye on it. If you are fishing where there is some current it's not usually a problem.

6. Scott7m

Scott7m New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i don't think you can get baits to big for flatheads, i've seen them eat channel cats and israeli carp 10" long. of course if your using a bait thats 10-12" long you might not do as well in numbers, but i find i get MORE bites with a bait 5-6 inches long vs one that is 2-3 inches

7. 1 4 Fishing

1 4 Fishing New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like to hook mine through the black dot the size about 3in to 5in

8. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i usally fish bottom also i will hook the tail of the gill and let him swim around size of gill does not matter cause i seen small flatty take a 4 inch gill and also i do use a gama 10/0 J hook

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    The bigger the bait the fewer bites, but when you hook into a fish using bigger bait hang on for the fun. Baits 7 to 10 or 12 inches are the right size for flatheads when ya cab find them that size.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009