Hooked through the eye

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Quint, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    A lot of cats in the 8-25lb range seem to get hooked through the eye. I hate it but what to do? I have caught some one eyed cats. But really wonder if that defect will enable the fish to reach trophy class? Just wanting some other opinions on the matter. It's a tough subject I know!

2. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    That always happens to me, i would like to know as well!

3. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    It souldn't, since cats feed by scent and not by sight like humans do:wink:

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This happens alot when using circle hooks, this is yet another reason not to use them!!!

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    JW, I have had the same trouble with my big Cat Maxx J's and my King Kahles. I think it is more because of the larger hooks and the fact that a catfishes eye is close to the front of his head than the style hook. As far as circles go, you won't have to worry about me using them. lol Vern

6. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Thats funny you mention this, cause i just recently switched to a different hook, because #1, the hooks i was using were bending, and #2, the hook seemed to always go thru the eye of the fish..
    The hook i started using works so much better, and doesnt come close to the eyes. They are called whiskers catfish hooks, and you can buy them at Walmart.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Haven't caught any blues yet. But I have never had that happen with Flatheads, now channels, just about one outta every five fish is hooked thru the eye. I hate when it happens, and I have caught 10+ pound river channels with only one good eye and lots of body scars. So I know its not slowing them down very much. They are out there doing combat with two eyed fish for food and mates, and don't seem to do too bad. From what I have seen of catfish in a tank, they could be missing both eyes and still find food. They can swim over a food pellet in the gravel, never even see it, but they will turn on a dime and suck it up in one motion. They can TASTE and FEEL food in the water.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've caught quite a few fish that were blind in at least one eye, and it didn't seem to hurt them as far as growth or health.
    As for circle hooks, I use Gamakatsu Circles, for the most part, in various sizes to match bait or fish size that I'm targeting. I can't recall hooking more that maybe a couple of fish in the eye, so I totally discount the idea that the design is the problem; maybe it's the size of the hook or something else. Almost every fish I catch is hooked in the corner of the mouth. On very rare instances one might swallow into the gullet area, but I've never had a circle hook hang in the gut; wish I could say the same for J or kahle style. One thing that helps in using a circle with a straight shank, which can be hard to find. Owner, for one makes them. Offset points are a little more likely to hook someplace other than the corner of the mouth, as proven is various release surveys. This is just my opinion, of course. It took me a little time to learn how to use the circles, but for catfishing, I now use them almost excessively.

9. young fisher

young fisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    The same thing happens to me to, but i have caught alot of one eyed cats.

10. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I too use Gamakatsu circle hooks...and have hooked the occasional catfish in the eye.

Although I have caught far more catfish that were already blind in one eye...that I did not do.

This tells me that this is happening to many others...who undoubtedly use different types of hooks than just what I use.

I think you're on to something there about the connection being the size of the hook.

The vast majority that I have eye hooked have been a smaller fish that took on a large bait....and a consequently larger hook. Or...I was using a smaller bait offering with a larger hook.

I'd imagine it also has something to do with how far down the gullet of a catfish that your bait and hook has made it before the "pivot" action a circle hook is famous for is engaged....and where it initially penetrates...as well as the size of the offending hook.

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm with catcaller, I use Gama 8/0 circles and the only fish I de-eye are usually 5-10 lb channels. It works out, though, because those are the ones I usually eat:wink: Never had an issue with bigger fish getting it in the eye, but they're bigger so the business end of the hook is a lot further from their eyes.

12. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Thanks for the replies. I have not seen but a few channels and flats eye hooked. But blues are another story, the blues from 8-25lb seem to be eye hooked on a regular occurrence whether by myself or witness to. Circle hooks seem to have the highest percentage but octopus, kahle, and big river-sickle also get their share. I use 8/0-12/0 hooks but need big hooks in order to hold a big fish, like some said it may be a hook size issue? I have also noted that the eye hook is more common anchored in still water as opposed to drifting or current fishing, but eye hooking is still common in all methods. Anyway it does seem to be a wide spread issue and more research should be imposed on the matter in-order to find a proper solution.

13. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE

I agree that it has more to do with the size of hook and bait than it does style of hook. As far as hooking Cats in the eyes are concerned; I think it mostly depends on how the cat addresses the bait when feeding. I'm not so sure it has a lot to do with anything we as anglers can control. This is all based on the fact that they don't feed by sight, which would result in the occasional eye snag. "Just thinking out loud here"

J

14. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    All of the "eye" hookings I have ever encountered have been impaled from the inside.

The ones I do myself...obviously are right there to be seen first hand.

The fish I have caught that I didn't eye hook...yet they were missing an eye...had scar tissue on the inside of their mouth...right up by where the bottom of the eye socket is under further examination and scrutiny.

Never have seen a fish that was snagged externally in the eye...except for spoonbill...or fish snagged while fishing for spoonbill.

I will be paying much more attention to this in the future tho...and will try to establish a pattern over the next year.

It's fairly rare...but it does happen.

15. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    The only eye hooking problem I've witnessed is through the mouth out the eye, not hooked through the eye on the outside of the head.

16. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Catfish are very tough and damaging one eye or even both will not stop them from surviving. I read an article about catfish that was in a maganzine while I was sitting in a doctors office, that was written by a biologist. He said that the catfish's entire body is covered with thousands if not millions of taste buds. So, essentially they are nothing but a swimming tongue. They can taste the water and know what is there from more than twenty feet away. This is how they search out food. Swimming along tasting with their skin. This is also why you will find alot of catfish get fowl hooked because they are rubbing against something and tasting it and they end up getting hooked in the back or wherever. So even if they are blind they will swim around tasting til they find something to eat.

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You are dead on. I have cats in my 50gal tank, i can feed the goldfish their pellets, any they miss fall to the bottom and blend in with the rocks. I have sat and watched these cats cruise over a spot with a pellet lying in the rocks, they can be 5inches above it, but they will turn on a dime and pounce on that pellet. They know exactly where it was JUST from swimming over it. Now just imagine a flathead out in the river swimming near your LIVE baitfish. And think about this: If a catfish can sense a goldfish pellet laying amongst the rock, do you think it can sense YOU stomping around on the bank, or in the boat? Can they possibly hear you laughing and talking. Just getting you to think about why you have trouble catching fish.

18. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I posted a similar thread in another sub forum. Experiencing the same type of troubles. Even had one where the hook was coming out of the top of his head! I guess it missed the brain because he swam off frisky.

I guess the hook size vs the size of the fish caught is the cause. Casualty of fishing I guess.

19. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I was reading an article in In-Fisherman that updated a catfish's ability to track prey.

Scientists have determined that they are also capable of tracking prey by tracking the wake disturbance they leave as they swim...perhaps in conjunction with their known ability to be able to sense electrical impulses in their prey's nervous system.

20. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Catching alot of one eyed fish tells me that alot of fishers are practicing catch & release.