Hooked on Okuma Fishing Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by BIG_D, Nov 22, 2008.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well got my sites set on anuther okuma reel it is the okuma classic pro model cl-452l baitcaster with bait clicker gear 4.0:1 330 yards /30lb line
    ok you all have heard me cus baitcasters but i never had any one to teach me to cast the stinking things i ben reading tips in the library on learning to cast so im gona give it one more try
    has any one hear got this model of okuma if so how do you like it
    if i take the plung and get one are you guys gona get me thrue this lerning proses and keep me from throwing $30 bucks in the river lol i thawt the price was very good and if its the reel my okuma epixor open face is its a good reel what ya think:cool2:

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Just turn the breaks down a bit and cast away until you get the feel of it... after a few bird nest you'll be an old pro!

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    randy im good at the bird nest part thats y iv not had one in so many years lol

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Dallas if you have any problems casting , Pm me and I can explain them thangs for ya they way I was taught .....which was this year also.

I've never had one of them reels ( Okuma )so I cant say much there. If that reel isn't already spooled when ya get it I would just use whatever cheap stuff ya might have laying around the house and spoon on x-amount till ya learn to throw it ; )

Good luck with it ; )

-Jim-

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks JJ and you can bet i will be pming you lol

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    How big a fish ya catchng, sounds like it might be bit much.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Dallas, the best thing to say on starting out (imo) put what ever line and lead your gonna use, hold the rod up at around 1030-1100 o'clock position and adjust your brake just so the weight will SLOWLY drop to the ground on its own, just a nice slow smooth drop, then start from there, also when ya cast, let the rod cast the line and weight, not your arms, You know what I mean, and as time goes by it will be 2nd nature to ya. just keep your thumb in th eready on the spool and you'll be fine.

8. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I'd say it's gonna be rough getting the distance you want without a little backlash (birdsnest). I think the best thing about the reel is its wenching power and line capacity. if you can close to spots with heavy cover and use heavy line (50+ test) to be able to pull out of snags - thats where the heavy dutiness will come into play. other than that it'll never cast out as far as a garcia 6500 or other similar models. i have reels like this okuma that i strictly use for heavy jams where I fish directly overhead.

9. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    oz i am targeting fish 20 + lb Randy sounds like good advice and yes after i learn to cast distance is very important i fish a lock and dam that i need to cast out a long ways till i get me a boat but till that time i need distance it should out cast a open face shouldent it my open faces put me in the srike zone if that baitcaster wont out cast a open face its not much

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I have the classic 300l not the pro and it is a dependable reel, id hope the pro would be a little smoother. the 450 imo is too big i like the reels capacity to be around 320yrds of 20# then i can get at least 150yrd of 40# and the reel isnt to bulky or heavy. the okuma 300l (302l pro) is the right size at a good price for a good reel. the cast break is kind of jerky but after you get used to it and loosen it up its ok and you can get some disatnce, the drag is also a little jumpy but super strong when you tighten it up. My honest overall opinion the $25 okuma classic 300l is a better reel than the $59 penn 220gto. If thats all you want to spend to try a baitcaster than thats probally your best bet. If smooth is a big deal you might want to cough up a few more $$ and get a Pflueger Contender G30, big, silky smooth, strong and will outcast an abu:wink:

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I have a short lived tenure with Okuma reels. The one that I did own is at the bottom of the James river. Put there by me personally. :cool2:

12. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    When you start out, try using the heaviest weight you can with some cheap heavy mono. If you have to cut it all off you won't have much money lost. Once you get the hang of it, switch to your normal line and weight.

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Good advice there, a weight of 3-4 oz or bigger makes things much easier, once you get comfortable with that you can back it off some. I tried to learn with a 1 oz weight many years back, and ended up giving that reel away, but I tried again and now baitcasters are all I use.

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    If you're not having to cut line off the reel when you first start casting them you're a better man than most (like my little brother:confused2:). When you first start out you're just gonna backlash it. Don't let it get ya down just keep a knife handy to cut all that cheap line you string it up with:smile2: All I can tell ya is to practice practice practice. And a reel that big and at that price won't cast a mile believe me (I've got 4 Tidewater 30L's). They're great reels that will bring in any catfish that swims no matter what some people may think but you're not going to win any long casting competitions with it.

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    why does everybody cut the line off ????:confused2: if you pull on the main line it will come off you may have to move a few loops but it went on one way it will come off one way. the faster you get your thumb to stop it the less fluff. Best advice to learning to cast baitcasters 3-4 oz like gary said and DONT take your thumb off the spool let it ride on the spool lightly while line is going out if its going too fast and fluffing up add a little more pressure but dont stop it let the sinker pull the extra line out stop the spool when the sinker hits. when reeling in make shure the lines tight by pinching it between your thumb an finger till the sinker weight holds it tight, loose line reeled up will cause a backlash. George what happened with your okuma?

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Some of those first backlashes are usually pretty bad. I know I had to cut several out when I first started. Same with casting too, practice makes perfect when undoing backlashes as well:smile2:

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < why does everybody cut the line off ????:confused2:>

I wondered the same thing. I HAVE seen them that bad, but rarely that you can't get the nest worked out. Keep you THUMB ON the SPOOL. When the bait hits the water, brake the spool with your thumb. My choice is Abu Garcia
    BB in SC

18. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    If ya get a birdsnest just pull at the loops on the reel .Dont try pulling the line off the reel if that makes cents.

19. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dallis get ya a good PENN:wink:

20. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I would NOT recomend learning on a penn owning a penn yea but they are not a begginers reel they are all thumb. Pfluegers are awesume reels to learn on and own best reels in my opinion.