Hooked into a big one below Truman Dam

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Taliesin, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was using whole 6" shad and hooked into a really big one Sunday night at about 11:30. As I was trying to pull it in, it hung up my weight on a rock and broke the 50# test line to that. Just pulled straight between the hook and weight so drag couldn't help that one (I was lucky it was the weight leader it broke and not the hook leader). The darned thing stayed on the bottom and hung the hook up on a ledge after that. Just plain wouldn't leave that ledge, so I ended up having to break the line from the hook. Earlier that night I had no problems at all pulling in a 20# gar (yes I re-tied the terminal tackle after that) and I am certain it was bigger than that.

Yeah... I failed to bring in my new personal best.

Can't seem to buy a bite when the sun is up, but night is working really great for me. I can't go after work anymore because I have to go to work early in the morning and leaving the lake just as the fish start biting is too painful.

2. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Dang the bad luck!! Been there too!

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

sorry about hearing that but the next trip is always a chance to catch that PB agian. Better luck next time.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    That sucks brother, hopefully you can round him up next trip out. It is heartbreaking losing a fish like that when you know it is a nice one.

5. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Man, that hurts! I'm dying to catch something over 20# and the idea of getting one on the line and losing it almost makes me feel sick to my stomache! :sad2:

6. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was heading down aftere work and on weekend night all the time, but with sun up = no bites I will be sticking to Friday and Saturday nights.

But I will be there EVERY weekend for quite some time. I know there are some huge ones down there including what I think was feeding on the 5# cat I caught the weekend before.

Who knows, maybe I can catch a state record. Even if it is a gar.

7. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Right now my PB is only 10#, but I know this guy was well over 20# if he broke the 50# weight leader like that. The weight leader may have been down to 25# due to abrasion, but still...

8. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My main line was 80# Power Pro (and undamaged after the fight) hooked to a three way swivel. If I had 30# mono with me I would probably have that to the weight, but... Either way it hung up and immediately broke.

I fish the opposite side of the handicapped pier. Usuall I end up right next to the fence as close to the dam as possible. I tend to get a lot of good bites casting about halfway between myself and the bouys. I'll be out there this Friday night (probably about 7 pm to 7 or 8 on Saturday when they quit biting). I tend to head out there at least once a week, and always on a weekend night.

9. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bah... It's not like this spot is a real secret. Heck... Usually I have to wait 2 or 3 hours to move up to it. The top 40 to 50 feet of fishable area there is just a line waiting to move up.

It's when the hybrid fishermen show up and squeeze 12 of them in the top 20 feet that I get crowded. They start casting all over my cat poles. Another good reason not to be there too much during daylight hours.

10. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I tend to have shad guts, blood, and slime all over my old camo pants; several knives laying around; but it doesn't help when you are 5' 10" and 120#, and I can't grow a beard while still in the Air Force.

I get my shad right up there where I am fishing. They are few and far between until the sun goes down, but that's when the fish are biting anyway.

No walleyes in the last month and a half or so, but crappie have been biting pretty constantly. Nothing but small ones though.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Curtis,

That's the same spot I try to fish when I go down there, and I have the same problem with the fish diving into the rocks or over the ledge. I've lost what are probably the 3 biggest fish I've hooked into there. It's a tough spot for landing them.

12. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Man! Sorry to hear that it got away from you!

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Fishing below the dam can be tough with all the rip rap to hang up on. There are some monster cats there though. Another option to the 3 way rig with a liter line on the weight leader is to go to Maine Wolf products sponser on here and order some of there Cat Bobbers. They will hold up a big gill or shad and a heavy weight so you can cast them to the middle of the river. They have a hole in the top to place a 8 inch glow stick for nite fishing. Rig them as a slip bobber to stay off the bottom.
    Good Luck out there.

14. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Big George... Is that you...??:lol:

15. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Oh well... Best laid plans of mice and men. Girlfriend wants to see me tonight, and since I don't get to see her often enough....

I'll be out there tomorrow night.

16. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    At least you got to feel it! It's those times that will re energize you and keep you focused on getting that next big hit.

17. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    It is nice when a big'n at least gives you a look! Below Truman Dam a couple of years ago, I was throwing plastic jigs on 12 lb line for hybrids. Wham! the line starts peeling off and in a short time I knew that I had to increase the drag to a dangerous level. No choice as I was running out of line. Everyone was watching and talking about how big the striper must be. Finally, I started squeesing the spool to slow the fish. Out of the water jumps a spoonie in the 50 - 60 lb class, shakes and straightens the thin hook of the jig. Kinda exciting and I thank the fish for giving me a look before giving me the brushoff. Hannibal Mike