Hook.

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT, Jun 16, 2009.

1. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,m a pretty heavy carp fisherman.I,ve been fishing them for over forty years.I usually(98%) fish with dough.I aint got nothing against boilies or pack bait.It,s just the style I like and have grown up with.I have fished boilies and pack,but could not match the sucess of dough.My dough recipes have been refined over the years,I use a lot of the same ingedients that are in boilies or pack.Here,s the question. I fish in some very snaggy urban areas,old steel pilings,cable,wood posts,etc.I have to horse a lot of these fish away from those snags FAST.So far the only hooks that I haven,t been able to straighten out with #65 braid are Mustad Big Gun livebait hooks in size 2 and up.I got the equipment to move em fast,just looking for other hooks.I,ve been thinking about tying up some hair rigs with a small spring on the end to mold my doughball around.I know the hooks I,m presently using will probaly be too big for the hair rig.I,m trying to find a source for some hooks that are smaller,but will stand up to the pressure I have to put on them.:0a36:

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

Thanks,but I,ve already straightened out both of those in the smaller sizes.:crazy:

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
  4. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I sent you a PM with some hook ideas. I will say that I am currently using owner hooks and they have not failed yet, but I feel they are not a big enough gauge to handle larger fish. Sounds like you fish some tough areas. I hear many love to fish snags for the big ones. More important that any persons bait, be it boilies, corn, puff or doughball is confidence. Without confidence in your bait it becomes hard to catch. Sometimes it takes a lot of trying a bait to develop confidence but over the years if you have developed something that works, in your case the doughball, then there is no need to change.

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

Couldn,t agree with you more!there,s no way to put a price on the mental edge you get from having confidence in the bait you got out there.I,m not closed minded,I,m always looking for new and better methods.Every one just has to find the style that suits them.I,ve tried the euro style on and off for years,I don,t have any problems with it,it,s just that the areas I fish aren,t that pressured.A little of it still gets incorporated in my fishing.If I had to deal with more pressured fish,I,d probaly be trying a lot more kinds of rigging til I found something that was working.Thanks:wink: