hook

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by goneflatheadin, Jun 1, 2009.

1. goneflatheadin

goneflatheadin New Member

State:
    cullman al
    What is your hook of choice ?

2. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    well besides any of them that is in a fishes mouth:smile2: i just have started using circle hooks and i like em:wink:

3. goneflatheadin

State:
    cullman al
    Me too, I like the circle's alote better, a friend was telling me about a new hook that cabelas offer's, and was trying to find out more.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    if i was you id use king kaels or gama 10, ots, now you may do good with circals, i dont but theese guys know there flatheads

5. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    GAMAKATSU is my hook of choice!

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    the problem i have is wen that poll bends over the bait slips out, i tried all the steps kep the gap exposed, but no hookup, so i switched to king kaels, but they got to be king the regelers fail me, im not getting rid of circals, but i would like to know why gammas are better than king kaels,seems gammas the no 1 hook, but for some reoson they slip out, and im doing it right , hook in the middle of the back no berid hook, dont get it, maby some bro can post how they hook a gill with a gama 8ot

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Me too!! reps out to ya, Chris!

Bill in SC

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like circles and kahles it just depends on the bait im using.If im using shrimp or liver or using a dip tube for dip bait ill use a circle but if im using a big piece of chicken breast or bluegill head,or any kind of cut bait ill use a kahle hook cause for me they work better for that type of bait.so for me it just really depends on the bait.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    could it be circals are better for smaller baits

10. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I like those Matzuo sickles. They are real sharp.

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I find I reach for 4/0 to 9/0 octo hooks more and more.

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

1st off-WELCOME ti the BOC Wes!For almost all of my flatheading,I stick to Mustad 92671,s in 10/0.They,re a regular J hook.If my baits on the smallish side I,ll drop down to Mustad Big Gun hooks in 8/0.The reason I don,t use circles is because all my fishing is done from the bank.I,d say in the course of a season,I catch about 1/3 of my fish when they,re running back toward me.Circle hooks don,t give me the option of reeling fast to catch up with them and setting the hook when I feel them.If I was fishing under a boat,I,d give circles a shot.They,re both strong hooks,and as far as sharpness goes,I give all my hooks a quick touch up with a hook hone when I start fishing and any time after I pull them out of some rocks or wood.They both have a nice wide gap too.:big_smile:

13. goneflatheadin

State:
    cullman al
    I HAVE HAD GOOD HOOK UP WITH CIRCLE'S, WHEN I USE BREAM, BUT NOT SO GOOD WITH LIVER OR CUT BAIT....

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    that sems to be reverse ,of what everone else says, weid, maby your gap is filled with cutbait you got to leav that gap open or theres no hookset

15. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    The 92671 are the same hooks i use. Just a simple J hook. Seems to work just fine.

16. jweber81

jweber81 New Member

State:
    nevada,missouri
    i set alot of lines and i use 14/0 mustad cirlcles

17. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I've tried pretty much every hook that's out there and I fell in love with circles the first fish that hooked it's self. gamakatsu hooks are good I like using them for channels but when I'm fishing for flathead I used the diachi circle chunk light hooks in blood read and I use the team catfish double action hooks. I'm starting to lean toward the team catfish ones more even though they're the same hook but I don't like the fact the the red paint starts to flake on the diachi's but any one of those three I would back

18. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Team catfish Circle Hooks! They're they way to go..... for me anyway!

19. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    well i find that circles are better for smaller baits but thats just my opinion.thats why i use kahles for the larger baits.

20. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    Kahle hooks