Hook-up problem

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mr.whiskers83, Jul 29, 2008.

1. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    I have had the same problem several times this year catfishing. I will have my rods set and clickers on and I will have a run or I will have short pulls that will continue to pull short lengths of line but never really make a long run and when I pick the rod up to set the hook.... nothing. I have had this happen in the river from the bank and in a lake from a boat with the boat anchored and no movement. Sometimes the bait has been took with no hookup and others the bait is still on. I thought maybe at first it was the live gills making short bursts but it happens with cut bait also. I'm using an 8/0 octopus style gamagatsu hook. Do I need a smaller/bigger hook, different style, or what? I usually hook the live gills under the dorsal fin near the back and the cut bait I hook through the top out the end. Do I need to change the way I do this? Also would not using the clickers help? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I need help!!

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Sounds like gar to me, or channels dinkning around. Hard to tell what kind of hits you're getting with the reel in freespool.

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    MANY MEMBERS ON HERE WILL TELL YOU TO LOCK THE REEL UP BUT IM NOT ONE OF THEM.... DOWNSIZE THE HOOK TO 6/0 ON THE LIVE BAIT AND SEE IF THAT HELPS, I MIGHT TRY TO KEEP THE REEL LOCKED WITH A SMALLER HOOK ON THE CUT BAIT, NOW ABOUT THE LIVE BAIT, I DON'T KNOW WHAT SIZE GILLS YOUR USING BUT I USE 8/0 ON EVERY GILL I USE AND WHEN THE BAIT IS GETTING STOLEN I WILL HOOK THE FISH A "LITTLE" DEEPER, AND AS FOR THE SHORT BURST IT COULD BE A NUMBER OF THINGS, ONE BEING THAT THE BAIT IS TOO BIG FOR THE FISH TO FIT IT IN ITS MOUTH. TWO, FLATHEADS WILL SOMETIMES NAIL THE BAIT KINDA LIKE A SHARK AND COME BACK FOR IT IN A LITTLE WHILE, JUST PUT YOUR FINGER ON YOUR LINE AND GIVE IT A LITTLE TUG OR TWO AND SEE IF THE GILL IS STILL MOVING AND IF HE IS "LEAVE THE ROD ALONE" IF YOU DON'T FEEL ANY MOVEMENT THEN GIVE THE ROD A FEW SLOW JIGS UP AND DOWN, THAT MIGHT INTICE A LAZY FLATHEAD TO INHALE YOUR OFFERING AND THEN IT'S ON!!!:0a26:

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am going to recommend trying to "jig" your bait in some to see if that cat will get good and aggressive. If he does, the next time he hits it, you will know for sure.

There is the distinct possibility that it is a Gar. If that is the case, find a new hole.

5. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    I will definitely try the jigging option next time. When I use live gills they are usually 4 - 6 inches, roughly hand size or a little smaller. As for the gar, I don't think there are any in Philpott Lake. I could be wrong but I've never even heard or for that matter seen any evidence(VDGIF website) of them being in the lake. It also seems that it could just be small fish that don't take the entire bait. That was my first thought on it while fishing. I even tried letting sit there as long as the bursts would go on and still nothing. Anyway thanks for the advice, it will be put to good use I hope.

6. ATTICUS_BUDDY

ATTICUS_BUDDY New Member

State:
    mn originally now NC
    move from that area sound like your playing with long nose gar or stay and be more patient wait till it takes the big run. if it is gar they will run stop spit the bait turnit around then swallow it then run again. hit them on their second big run

7. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    if so, then it could be the gar. Those rascals scaled every piece of live bait I put in the water last time out. If I had known how efficient they were, I could have saved myself a lot of trouble when I was panfishing for food instead of bait.:smile2::smile2::wink:

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    1st, Bluegill can be stronger than you would think. You might adjust your brake a little.

2nd Flatheads can be finicky. When the fish are like that switch to j style hooks.

3rd Try a stinger hook, one in the dorsal area and one in the tail area.

4th Put out your bait rod with a small hook and a 1inch by 1 inch piece of cut.

Small pike, small stripers, small cats will all drive you nuts.

Big Flatties will stun or kill the bait sometimes and then come back 20 minutes later to carry it off.

Good luck, and at least you're gettin bit! lol!

Welcome to the BOC!

Try the James River.....:wink:

9. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    Thanks for the advice I will most definitely try those techniques. I've been gettin bit just a slow year on the catching. And believe me if I lived closer to the James, I would be there.