hook type

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by muzkrat, Feb 10, 2008.

1. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    what hook are you useing for them hogs

2. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I am using #10 Owner circle hooks..

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    If you like circle hooks and watching the rod load up the 8/0 gamakatsu's and the 10/0 owners are good hooks but there are many good ones.

If you like to set your clickers and let them run then setting the hook yourself then 7/0 through 10/0 kahles and king kahles are hard to beat. You can also let the rod load up with them also.

4. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    8/0 gama circles are working for me.

vaughn

5. ITSBIGT

ITSBIGT New Member

State:
    VA
    I have straightned to many Gama 8/0 circle hooks out...nothin but 10/0 owner on my lines now

6. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thomas have you ever tried the Gama 8/0 4x strong thats what i use never had one straitin.

7. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I use 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circles too. Was looking into the 4x strong, but those suckers are expensive. I'd rather not learn the hard way though and have my hook straighten out on a big fish. Might get me some new ones soon.

Which Owner circle hooks do you all use? I went to Cabelas and they have about six different types. I like the SSW which has a slight offset point and the offset eye. Would this work?

8. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    The SSW's are the ones that I have used and I really like them. They are a little bigger and a lot beefier than the Gama's.

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    8/0 gamakatsu works for me they are sharp and i think great hooks

10. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    Joshua, I get mine here http://www.usangler.com/product.cfm?model=SSW Circle Hook&manufacturer=Owner&type=Hooks They come out to about $1.18 per hook before shipping. Cabelas comes out to about $1.33 per hook before shipping. They cost more than the Gama's but are a better hook.

Pat those 8/0 gamas are good hooks and I have caught a lot of fish with them but I like the 10/0 owners well enough to pay the extra money to use them.

11. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    i must be using the 4x gama's. those hooks are about 1/16th thick steel wire at least.

i don't think i'll bend them soon, but now i've got to give the Owner's a try too! lol

anyplace local have them? Greentops, Gander, BPS?

vaughn

12. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Vaughn...before you jump let me tell you about a hook a friend put me on to this weekend.....now I had been using the Gamakatsu Octopus Circle 8/0 hooks with out a lot of complaints....but let me tell you he sold me on the Mustad 39960D 14/0 hooks. Talking about a hookset this hook will give you one that the Gamakatsu will not. The size of the hook gape, though, is such that you will to put a little offset in the hook just to be able to get the bait on the hook. Scott was also telling us if he catches a smaller fish - up to 30 pounds or so - he doesn't even bring the fish in the boat (when using the other hooks) just grab the hook with a pair of pliars, give a twist and a jerk and the fish is gone

He also talked about the trap effect. You have to bring fish in the boat to get the hook out. A twist and a jerk won't do it. The 14/0 hook has a lot of throat and a small gape leaving lots of hook point even with a big ole chunk of gizzard shad attached to it according to Scott. He has been using the Owner SSW 10/0 circle hooks and thinks they are a great hook, but has been having two problems.

1. They're too expensive at a buck each
    2. Smaller fish continually get hooked through the eye

Yep he sold me on the Mustad 39960D 14/0 hooks and gave me a few but will be making an order to Cabela's. A pack of 25 $8.99.

Jerry

13. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    damn jerry, now i have another hook to test out!

i'll have to test this one too. lol

14/0 huh? you shark fishing? lol

bass guys talk about the "bait monkey" with all the different lure and all.

i'm going to start the "hook monkey" :big_smile:

thanks again

vaughn

14. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    LOL....hey man you know I wouldn't tell you wrong.....I saw it time and time again this weekend how well this hook performs....and I was somewhat satisfied with the gamas....not looking to change hooks.....oh well...live & learn....

Jerry

15. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    i will be trying the mustad out for sure. did i understand jerry that you put some bend in the hook yourself?

16. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    That's right James....just take 2 pair of pliers and put just enough offset in the hook so that it want be so difficult to load the hook with a large chunk of shad...in other words the shank and the point come in line with each other so you misalign it so you want have so much trouble getting the bait on the hook.....I usually get 3 cuts out of a 14" shad...

Jerry

17. ITSBIGT

ITSBIGT New Member

State:
    VA
    Went to green top and bought 19 packs of 10/0 Owner Hooks i left about packs on the shelf for everyone lol...

18. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR

Thomas, what was the price? Always looking to find them cheaper LOL.

19. bambam

bambam New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    WHERE CAN YOU BUY THE LARGER HOOKS? WALMART DOES NOT CARRY THE REALLY LARGE ONES. I'M FROM THE RICHMOND AREA.

20. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Frank, Greentops where ITSBIGT got his hooks apparently has the big circles. It's in the general Richmond area I believe.