Hook Suggestion for the Arkansas River

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by mrgib31, Dec 27, 2009.

1. mrgib31

mrgib31 New Member

State:
    Conway, Arkansa
    What are some of your thought s on hook selection for fishing the Arkansas river? I have been using 4/0 long shank off set J hooks with bad hook sets. The cats are typically hooked in the upper lip (barely) at times. landing these cats proves hard because the hook set will tear what little skin they are attached to, and I go home empty with hurt cats in the water. Anyone who fishes the Arkansas or surrounding waters know a better hook I should use?

2. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    welcome james................ try some 7/0 kahles .... wally world has them here in misipy............... they may be the answer ............. good luck to ya !!!:wink:

3. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    James,
    In my boat, which fishes the river a lot, I use nothing but Team Catfish Double Action Circle hooks. I use 8/0 about 75% of the time, otherwise I use 5/0. They will hook the fish in the side of the jaw about 95% of the time, and the other 5%, they will hook them in the jaw. You won't miss many or any fish when hooked up with these hooks. Let them hook themselves, reel down and then fight is on:tounge_out:.
    Team Catfish is a BOC sponsor, so look them up. Those hooks "hook and hold."
    I am sure you will get other suggestions, which I am sure have been proven to work, but again, in my opinion, Team Cat hooks are the best.
    Good luck

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  4. mrgib31

mrgib31 New Member

State:
    Conway, Arkansa
    Thanks,

I have been looking at Team Catfish hooks. I need some more Secret 7 & dip tubes so I will get some hooks as well! :big_smile:

5. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Good, the Secret 7 will be your go to bait this spring and summer for channel cats. It is awesome.

6. mrgib31

mrgib31 New Member

State:
    Conway, Arkansa
    It provides a lot of good eating cats as well as keeping the kids busy and loving fishing. I would pay a million dollars for the time spend with them on the river and how happy they are when they catch fish! Not to mention it doesn't smell 1/2 as bad as other baits we have used.:smile2:

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    James Welcome to the Brotherhood. You own the right track. Just remember when using the TC hooks, just let the fish load the rod and reel down and the fish will hook itself.

8. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Ok, heres how we do it, dont mean other stuff dont work, just that we have tried most other stuff and settled on this as working best for us. We drift fish the Ar river at Dardanelle almost exclusively.
    First, we use 8/0 gamatkazu circles to allow for large cutbait(shad,skip) and the super sharp point(dont set hook just start reeling). Heavy mono line 40 lb and up(after losing many on light line.
    We use a 3 way swivel.
    Tie the main line to the first eye.
    Tie on a 2 oz bell sinker to the second eye with 8,10 lb line 2-3 ft long(if you hang up, you only lose the sinker)
    Tie the hook to the third eye with the heavy line about 6-8 in. long.

In this way, we drift and bounce the sinker alone the bottom, seldom hanging up. This keeps the bait and hook free flowing and off the bottom.
    This works from the bank too,but you could need more weight in a lot of current.
    Usually, the sinker will hang up from the bank, but this is good your bait is still clear because of the 2,3 ft drop sinker line.

9. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas

10. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    I personally think it really depends on boat or bank current or not. Raysplay swears by circle but ya have to allow them to hook themselfs. I am getting fonder of the kayle hooks but we are bankers with our place of choice is as close to the dam as possible. With a calm spot for me of course! WINK!

11. mrgib31

mrgib31 New Member

State:
    Conway, Arkansa
    I went & got a couple Kahle hooks, 3/0, 5/0, and 8/0 circle hooks will use a mixture to figure out what works the best for me. Thank you for the help keep the ideas coming that is how I become a better fisherman.

12. big pappa

big pappa New Member

State:
    perry, Ark
    i fish the flood gates at dams 8 9 and 10 mostley,, i loose very few fish, but i have never tried the circle hooks, i use a 6 or 7 ought kahle , and a 4 ought wide gap and have caught 5 fish 40lbs or better on the wide gaps,, the gap is the same as a standard 8 ought , but hook is smaller in diameter and super sharp..

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Most of the time fishing with rod & reel, I use kahle hooks. They will self-hook like a circle, and generally hook in the corner of the mouth like a circle, but if you forget and give a big yank to set the hook, they'll hook like a J hook. About the only time I use circle hooks is when I'm putting a hook into heavy woody cover; the circle hook will hang up much less in that situation. I use big-eye trotline J hooks on my jugs because of price, durability, and ease of removing and attaching them to the line.

fishstick likes this.
  14. 4Low

4Low New Member

State:
    Lonoke, AR
    It's 6/0 kahle hooks for me while using shad and skip cutbait on the river. Every fish is hooked in the corner of the mouth and I've never had to cut one out of the throat

15. jde512

jde512 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I've used mostly kahle-style hooks myself, but with the new rod holder setup on the boat, I'm going to give circle hooks a good try this year. I got to see them in action when we went shark fishing down at Galveston a couple of years ago and they worked perfectly when you are able to let the fish load the rod. All that's left after that is to reel them up and every hook was right in the corner of the mouth.

16. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    I fish the rivers in North Carolina and really like the Team Catfish 8/0 and 5/0 double action hooks in dead red.

17. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I fish the Ar, river all over the place....I use Teamcatfish 8/0 double action hooks. The blues will hook themselves most of the time. Probably the biggest error i see with circle hooks is they are designed for chunking baits & hooking the bait 1 time through the hook. It takes getting used too, but once ya do your hook-up rate will increase 10-fold!! Ya cant cover the point to the hook shank with any self setting hook it wont work.

18. mrgib31

mrgib31 New Member

State:
    Conway, Arkansa
    I went to Gander Mtn. in Sherwood & got my Team Catfish Hooks. I love them, they cost a little more than other brands but I think i'm hooked! I got an assortment of 3/0, 5/0, & 8/0 hooks. The 3/0 even worked when I took the kids out trout fishing & we had a problem with the trout getting off. I love the Team Catfish hooks! Now we just need to get the weather to cooperate with us all in AR!

19. mrgib31

mrgib31 New Member

State:
    Conway, Arkansa
    Wow,

Went to Gander Mtn. to pick up a few more Team Catfish hooks today & was not happy at all! A pack of 2 8/0 circle hooks is $3.00. Are you crazy it was a push to buy a 3 pack for 2.95 but I refuse to pay $1.50 per Team Catfish hook when I can buy a pack of 8 8/0 Eagle Claw Kahle hooks for $1.49. They are good hooks & I love them BUT Jeff the economy sucks we can't afford to pay that price when we can get four times the competitors hooks for the same price of just 2 Team catfish hooks!

I really hope there is a plausable reason these hooks keep getting more & more expensive.

20. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    james, i couldn't even bring myself to pay $1 each for hooks. the kahles will work fine for you.