Hook Style & Size?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Spider, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Just wondering what hook style and size you would use for Channels and Chicken liver bait.
    I've been using a 2/0 or 3/0 shorter shank SSW Owner. I wrap my liver in cheesecloth and twist into a tight ball, tie it off, then cut excess away. It leaves me with neet balls of bait and they stay put with the hardest of casts. It also lets me get baits ready ahead of time then I just need to open the container, grab one and put it on the hook. Cuts way down on any messing around with baiting up. The cheesecloth is around $3.00 at the grocery store and makes a LOT of baits.

2. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    For channel cats I favor a 5/0 circle hook. Just remember that with circle hooks the fish sets the hook by itself. You don't have to give the rod a big jerk for a hookset. If you do you are apt to lose the fish. Just start reeling and hang on!

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Id use a 4 ott circle..:wink: If i see it dont stay on the hook good.. i'd switch to about a 6 ott treble

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Larry thanks for sharing your tip. Sounds good, inexpensive, and not messy.

5. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    7/0 sickel hooks for chicken liver

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    7/0 kahle and sickle hooks. Works for me. :wink:

7. lwsmith9865

lwsmith9865 New Member

State:
    Cookeville,TN
    Over the weekend I was useing # 1 and # 2 hooks below the falls on chicked liver landed a couple 2-3lbs but fought most of day with bait theives I swithed up to a small #2 short shank and the next one on my line was a 10 lb.blue I got him in. Reminded me of steelhead fishing on the walnut creek in erie Pa, the hooks are tiny you use to catch fish 2 and 3 feet long.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    chicken liver for channels? eater size you dont need but a 2/0 or 3/0 circle and same with a kahle hook.if your after the bigger boys go bigger on the hook and add more bait:wink:

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I like using treble hooks. Tie on a heavy duty snap swivel (the locking kind), and hook your treble with it. You take the hook off, slide it up thru your liver (i had to cut my livers into pieces so they would fit on the hook) so that the 3 hooks cradle the liver, and the shank helps hold it too. Just snap it back on and cast. I started doing it this way just this year, and i was amazed. I could cast it, and even get more than one bite before I had to rebait. I dont remember what size, but the ones i'm using are probably 1 or 2 sizes bigger than you would use on crankbaits for bass.

10. charlesthecarpmaster

charlesthecarpmaster New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I don't use treble hooks, but a #2 treble hook is best with liver. I prefer a #2 Eagle Claw bait-holder hook.

11. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    lol i got ya beat , now dont laugh . I'm sure my lady isnt the only one with a shoe thing so heres my tip for chicken livers , you know the little footies that they have in the shoe stores for the ladies to try on shoes ? (the stocking ones) best in the world for livers now thats thrifty . should have replied with quote the thread starter said he used cheese cloth to hold his livers together and how inexpensive it is .

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  12. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    How are you guys applying this to the hooks? I've always used treble hooks for liver, nut would like to try this on the circles. Thanks

13. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Oh NOOOO!!!! I thought I was the only one that had the wife swipe the free stockings from wally world!! I just make a ball in the stockings and put on a 4/0 to 5/0 circle hook. Works great!!

14. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY

We are truly sick people that would figure that stockings serve us better than they do our wives " Hey babe grab me pair of hose the next time youre in wally world will ya some mocha colored please " Hmmmmmm oh what the heck . LOL LOL LOL !!!

15. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use 4/0 kayle hooks for channel cats. No matter which bait I am using, I use the same thiing. They are great for all sized channels. I love kayles becaue they are so versitile. I can either use them locked down in the rod holder like a circle hook, or in free spool. There is no other choice for catfishing in my book. I use them for all catfish.