Hook Spacing for Trotlines

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfishcraz, Jun 20, 2009.

1. catfishcraz

catfishcraz New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I need some answers on spacing the hooks on the trotlines cuz I normally would know by looking the fishing rules book and no one seems to have one. K-mart, Wally-mart, a couple of sports stores and bait shops, all are out of them and I just want to know what is the rules of spacing the hooks on the trotlines? I have been told 18", 20" and 24". My last time I had them at 20"-24" apart. Also am aware that must have your name , and/or address, or drivers license on the end of the line. Can anyone tell me what is the legal spacing please? Thanks.

2. melvin7000

melvin7000 New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Per the book "The drops or hooks may not be less than twenty-four (24) inches apart..."

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    no less than 24" apart and no shorter than 12"s long.

4. catfishcraz

catfishcraz New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Thanks Kevin and Melvin. But I had no idea that the trotline hookline can't be less then 12 inches long!:crazy:,:angry:Dang it! I just tied a bunch up preparing to set up next weekend and now I have to re-do all those hooks. Well, at least I am not gonna break the rules and thanks again guys.

5. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
  6. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Like the Regs say, you will need to put an identification on the end of the trotline. In the past, I have used white electrical tape at the tree/stump end, writing my truck plate number with a perminate marker. Other times, I have just taken a short piece of PVC pipe and passed the line thru it when tying it off. Again, I write my truck license plate tag numbers on it. The PVC is good, as I can use it over and over.
    Good luck

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Personally i believe if your drops are spread out the gar won't rob ya as bad. When they're close gar start at one end and pick bait to the other. Get some perch and you should catch some fish. Or go by Pel-Freeze in Rogers and buy ya some rabbit livers. Good luck

8. catfishcraz

catfishcraz New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Thanks guys, for all this information.Been real helpful and I need to learn a little more on how to work this website. It's a great site! Happy father's day to all and happy fishing!

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    nay, welcome to the BOC, it's full of fine folks willing to help. Another tip i might add for your lines, tie them as low as ya can get them to a green limb or something with some give. I always carried rings of inner tube and tied off with that. Without some give a big fish will tear off alot of times.Good luck and don't forget the camera when ya make it to the water.

10. catfishcraz

catfishcraz New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Just thought I'd let everyone know, there is no rule on how long the line needs to be from the main line to the hook. It just says the drop hooks need to be 24 inches apart. And I had completely forgotten about this site. I guess I am still kind of old school. lol. thanks again everyone

11. catfishcraz

catfishcraz New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Just thought I'd let you know, the regulations does not say anything about lengths for the drop hooks. Thanks for your help and am sure you've done your share of trotline fishing and stuff.

12. catfishcraz

catfishcraz New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Trotline, Setline and Limbline Fishing Requirements – Trotline, setline and limblines are allowed for sportfishing in most areas. (Check pages 55-76). The drops or hooks may not be less than twenty-four (24) inches apart and the catch must be removed daily. All trotlines, setlines and limblines must be clearly labeled with the name and address, or vehicle operator’s license number, or current vehicle license number of the person using such equipment. Information must be attached on each line at the bank end. Cotton lines are no longer required.​

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I moved into the edge of Missouri and seldom fish Ark. anymore but hated the cotton line requirement. Intended for the slob fishermen that wouldn't pick their lines up. Good lines cost to much to build for me to leave em scattered everywhere. As far as drop length, all mine are always at least a foot long. Longer the drop, fewer twist off you'll see.

14. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    John Fisher you are so right(The longer the drop the better) At least that's what the Ladies have always told me.:wink: J.D.

15. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    Well I must of got the 12" rule from my Dad:wink: He used to trotline on the Arkansas river with some folks he met around here that would go down there every year and do it commercially. They sure brought home the fish. Dad would bring home enough fish every time to last us all year.

16. catfishcraz

catfishcraz New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I can understand that longer the drop the less chance of breakage but what about them having more power to shake off the hook? that is why I was planning to use swivels with bearings so they have less chance of breaking and twisting. Just my point of view and theory. PLease tell me your point from there aside from costing a little more money for the setup. Thanks!

17. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    By all means use swivels. Flatheads ain't bad to twist off but them stinkin fiddlers are gone right after daylite if ya ain't on top of em. A good net is worth it's weight in gold too. I never pick a fish up out of the water, one shake and he's back in the creek. As for the drops, i've always ran 12" minimum, and tie about 2 foot on my weights. That puts the bream about a foot off the bottom.

18. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    I put my swivels on my main line and then tie my drops to them then on my drops I put a knot in the center. This keeps the fish from nosing in thru the drop and tangling your line up and pulling free. Your main line will act as a spring as it has give in it so even with longer drops the cats will not be able to pull off because the drops are longer.

19. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Don't know about Ak but its 3 ft. for TX.

20. hogeye12779

hogeye12779 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I prefer hook spacing to be at least 6 foot apart. This seems to keep gar and turtles from stealing every bait down the line also when I have spaced them at 2' fish seem to shake off the baits close to them.