Hook snelling

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by BigTattoo, Dec 2, 2005.

1. BigTattoo

BigTattoo New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    A while back, I tried to snell some hooks and had problems. After I tried for a couple of weeks, I just gave up on it and went back to using palomar knots on my hooks. Now I have the urge to try again. I actually had them coming out pretty good. They just didn't seem like they were pulling tight. I didn't have any actually come apart. It just seemed like, if I would have put it in my tackle box, it would have come undone on its own. I was using some Trilene Big Game 50 lb. test line. Would it help if I got some Fluorocarbon leader material? The Trilene feels kind of stiff to me. Could that be the problem?

Thanks,
    BigTattoo

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Fluorocarbon might help a little but I would suggest maybe 80 lb leader. I use 50 lb sometimes but 80 lb does seem to be a little better. I recently learned a new way to snell that works great. But I dont really know how to explain it though :confused:

good luck :)

3. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
  4. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
  5. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
  6. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
  7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Hey Lance. I use 50# Leader material and a uni knot snell. Been workin for me for quite some time. It cinches down on itself and ties real good with the leader material.

8. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Went to the site turtle posted, then tied up a couple to check it out. Easy to tie, snugged up nice and was a breeze with a double hook rig. I give it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.

Used 60lb ande.

9. BigTattoo

BigTattoo New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Okay everyone. I can now tie the snell knot and the uni-knot snell perfectly. It took a little bit of practice, but I finally got it. I'm going to keep practicing with them so that I can find out which one I like the best. Instead of using the Trilene Big Game line, I got some Stren Monofilament Leader material. It's probably not as good as flourocarbon, but it did help. Also, I read on one of the sites that was posted above that before you cinch the knot, you should lubricate it. I remember reading on an old site that you just spray water on it. Is there anything that I could use that would be better than just plain water? Thanks for all of the help and advice. It is very much appreciated. I can now snell all of my hooks! :grin-big:

Thanks
    BigTattoo

10. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Most of us use spit. It seems to be readily available.