Hook Sizes for Smaller Catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by MattyGfishing, Sep 13, 2009.

1. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    For Channel Cats in the 1-5lb range, what size circle hook is about right when using small cut bait?

2. ~Austin~

~Austin~ New Member

State:
    Texas
    For "eater size" fish and small chunks of cut bait, it's hard to beat plain ole 1/0 Eagle Claws.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    My preference is 3/0. With a strong bite I will go up to 5/0.

4. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well when i used to fall asleep fishing i would use 3/0 circles, now i realized i have better hookups with 4/0 trueturns.

5. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    I would try 5/0 first and if they not biting hard I would down size to a 3/0. Never fished with a circle hook less than a 3/0.

6. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    When usinging cut bait about the sizeof your thumb nail. I like a 1/0 octopus style. That way they take it in their mouth and not just pull on your bait,
    Jim

7. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I use 4/0 Gamma j hooks. Just regular hooks for dead/cut baits.

8. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    I use 1/0 circle hooks and so far have not had any problems catching the smaller catfish on them. If I'm ever fortunate enough to hook a bigger one, I will let everyone know! :smile2:

Ray

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    for that size you dont need anything but a 2/0 or 3/0.anything bigger for that size cat just isnt needed depending on what kind of hook your using.im talking circles or kahles.:wink:

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    2/0 - 4/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle Hooks will work great for those size fish. :wink:

11. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    My preffered hook for eater channels is the EC 4/0 khale. I don't use many circle hooks because 90% of the time I'm using a cat bobber. When I'm in water with 6lb+ fish, I use the EC 8/0 King Khale. I've hooked plently of 2-5 lb fish with the 8/0, if they are hungry it finds it's way in their mouth!

12. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use 5/0 Eagle Claw L197 circle hooks. Since the whole front end of a catfish is mouth they won't have any trouble sucking those in.

13. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    2/0 to 4/0 . I catch alot of channels with cut bluegill and use a 3/0 J hook and sometimes 5/0 circle hook . When I am missing them on the J hooks I will switch to the circles . I always scale my bait fish and fillet off the sides using a nice peice of fillet with no bones in it . Most of the time I have to use bolh sides to really bait the hook .

14. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    For smaller channel cats, I use a 1/0 - 5/0 circle hook. Bigger ones I go for a bigger hook. Small channel cats really have small mouths. If I didn't use circle hooks, I would go with a 3/0 or 4/0 J hook, mostly because thats what I have.

15. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    I scale them too, but I always want blood and guts in the piece of bait. I get 2-3 pieces of bait off of each gill, the head and one or two "steaks".

16. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    5/0 gamas if I miss them I go to j hooks and sock it to em

17. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    not sure about circle hooks but 6 in channel cats are all the time getting caught on my 3/0 kahles and 5/0 trot line hooks (jugs)

18. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Hard to beat the 3/0 Eagle Claws circles if you are after eaters. They can be bought at walmart and are pretty cheap.