Hook size.

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by weebrio, Jun 18, 2007.

1. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    What hook size do I need, I am taken aback that nearly every catfish I have caught has swallowd the hook.
    Some I get out most I dont. So I tried bigger hooks, thinking that it would stop or limit small fish from getting on my line.
    Last night I caugh a catfish over four pounds perhaps five pounds, I lost the hook in it, no big deal as it was a good fish, usually I am catching catfish that are about 12 to 15 inches long and they are swallowing the hook.
    How do I stop this, I want to hook them on the lip, return them saefly to the water, I dont keep them and I feel like I am wasteing good fish simply because I am useing the wrong hook.
    Help, Thanks.

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    perhaps you should try a kahle hook or circle hook. i use 4/0 size hooks.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I use kahle hooks and have been experimenting some with gamakatsu circle's. I still like my kahles better so far but I think you would be a good candidate for the 7/0 or 8/0 gamakatsu circles.

4. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    I use a size 5 of 6 circle hook. 9 times out of 10 I get a perfect hook set right in the side of the mouth. Half the time if I am not paying any attention the cat will hook himself and its usually right in the side of the mouth liek you want it. Circle hooks are designed to do that for you, life is so much easier with circle hooks. You can get them from catfishconnection.com real cheap and in bulk.