Hook size questions

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by avitem1949, Nov 26, 2007.

1. avitem1949

avitem1949 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I usually fish central Ohio ( Griggs, O'Shaughnessy, some times Madison lake & where ever I have time to get to) and usually get lots of bites but have trouble hooking fish. I use chicken livers, crawlers, minows, shrimp (when I can sneek them from the freezer and not have wife yell at me!!!). What hook size works? Is a 4 or 6 too big? Am I just bad at setting the hook!! Have been fishing (trying!!) since mid summer. I bank fish (untill I get up to MI to get the boat my friend is giving me!) in all weather. OPEN TO ANY/ALL SUGGESTIONS!!!!
    Howard M. Galloway

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Howard, try using a smaller hook, and leaving the hook point well exposed. You don't say how big of bait you are using. Try down sizing everything and then work your way up. If you are in a area that has small fish they will wear you out and are hard to catch.

The fish in my avatar was caught on a 3/0 hook with about a 3/4 by 3/4 inch piece of skipjack.

3. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    I agree with BAM on this one. If the fish are swallowing the bait and your not getting good mouth hook ups, size up. My rule of thumb is that you want to use the hook that will hold the most bait while still being exposed for the size fish I am after.
    Linz:wink:

4. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    also howard what type of hook are you useing? circle hook, j hook, worm hook.?

5. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Ok catfishbill you didn't ask if he was using kahle hooks,I've had good luck using them.

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have never fished your area much, but I will assume you are fishing for Channels. I recommend trying the 5/0 Daiichi circle hooks. Model #D81 or #D84. You can see them here.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Howard, there are many hooks on the market today, all for different types of species and techniques to fishing them. It sounds to me like your not a livebait guy as in bigger baits such as bluegills etc. for flatheads. i can't see where there is any difference really in where you fish. i fish the same hooks on lakes that i fish on the rivers. i personally like j-style hooks myself. i used to use Kahles, and caught fish, but had problems with them hooking themself back into my livebaits.. i have used them with crawlers and livers with no problems. i also like circles for craws, livers, cutbaits and such.. now with these is where technique comes into play. they are designed for the fish to basically hook themselves, by allwoing the rod to load up, and just with a simple lifting motion, not a whip or set like we have all been taught to set, but allowing the hook to embed itself usually in the corner of the fish's mouth. i don't use them much for livebaits, unless im fishing smaller ones.. and im sure you have seen different other makes and models as well. now to hook size, this can be tricky at times. you can pick hook sizes from size# 1-? who knows.. these are usually your smaller hooks, with a smaller diameter.. not what you are probably looking to buy..ex. A # 2 Aberdeen is a great crappie hook, but not for cattin! lol.then you start into your 1/0- say 10/0 hooks... usually these hooks are more geared for the fishing we do.. longer hook shanks, bigger diameter, and wider gap. i would suggest for any cat, whether you fish channels, flats, blues, etc. you need buy the more durable hook... just to speed things a bit here, if i was fishing crawlers for channels, i might try a 1-3/0 size hook in the j-style gamukatsu ... livers 4-6... cutbaits 5/0-7/0 or poss. 8/0 depending on the cut!... if fishing a small bluegill 7/0.... med gill ( 5 in. or so) probably an 8/0 j-style gamakatsu and a large gill 9-10/0 same style. hope you kinda get the idea.. i would suggest getting a bass pro magazine and just do some reading to familiarize yourself some to the different shapes and sizes..let me know how it goes, and if you are still missing we can talk about your techniques more than the hooks...:big_smile: goodluck....rollo

8. avitem1949

avitem1949 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A big THANK YOU for the info!!! I'll do some research, then some fishing,hopefully some catching and will let you know how I do...
    Howard M.

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the title was hooks, the name is rollo...lol... shoot me a p.m if you need some more help..rollo:big_smile:

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Howard, are you using a Carolina type rig? Where the sinker is seperated from the hook and leader by a swivel? If not you need to change asap. If you have your sinker fixed to your line, every time a fish takes your bait he is dragging your sinker across the bottom. And when he feels that THUMP of a rock or whatever he drops the bait. On a Carolina type rig the sinker rests on bottom but the fish can pull line off the reel (with a clicker) and never feels the sinker. Just wait for a good tug then set the hook. J-hooks only please. If you use circles, donate them to the nearest homless shelter so those guys can miss fish lol. One other thing is bugging me, are you using# 4 or #6 hooks , Or 4/0 and 6/0? There is a huge difference. I use #6 hooks to catch bait lol. I use 10/0 for flatheads and no less than 8/0 if I only have small bait fish. For allround cattin get 5/0 to 8/0. If the cats can't eat those hooks they are too small to mess with and you should move. I have caught 1lb and smaller channels on these 10/0 gammas.

11. avitem1949

avitem1949 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am using the rig you describe. Hook on end of line 18" +/- of line then a swivel with a slip egg type sinker on the line above it. I am looking into different hook sizes and types. 'J' is one I have used but don't remember size. I have tryed some other types with inconsistant results. Hard to find time to go this time of year. My carharts are ready to be worn, my wife will be gone after Dec. 16th to visit the daughter & after Christmas she is going to South Carolina for a while to visit her sister so I will have time to try the suggestions that all the people have given me. I will let you and the others how I do.
    Thanks hor the help!!!! Howard M. Galloway Ohio

12. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I have recently changed from j hooks to circle hooks, and YES, my hook up ratio has improved. The hook that I like the most is an 8/0 red circle octopus hook by Gamakatsu. Do any of you all know where I can find this hook in a larger size? Thanks, Dave.

13. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    hey skipjack, you might try looking in the basspro saltwater fishing stuff i think they list them to 10/0 in there , i prefer the j hooks myself though, i use octopus 8/0 to 10/0 unless fishing for channels , then i drop down to 4-6, i hope that helps you

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Could you possibly be fishing where small Channel Cats are schooling?Their constant pecking and tiny mouth will drive you up the wall!Try a very small hook and bait.If they are present,Move or go to larger tougher bait or live bait.

I love you Brothers and sisters.peewee

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, that was what i was getting at, and said, if it doesn't fix it! than call again!! lol! just as peewee quoted.... you don't go bluegill fishing with a 8/0 hook...and you don't go cattin with the aberdeen i was talking..... But....a larger or tougher bait is fine, but i have found ...you are better off just relocating!!! rollo

16. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When fishing with livers , minnows and shrimp size 4 hooks may be causing you to miss the fish. Try going to a size 2 mustad. These work well.

17. avitem1949

avitem1949 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    going to try all suggestions thanks will post results--busy time of year- will fish when I CAN Howard M.

18. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    eewww skip you hurt my feelins man. lol. I fish with 8/0 gamakatsu octopus circle hooks and my hookup ratio is unreal. I will have to say atleast 90 percent of the time when a pole goes down the fish is hooked perfectly in the corner of the mouth. My personal best night ever out on the water was in the dog days of summer 2007. We had absolutley no current for over 2 months. We got a little rain and it spead the current up and holy cow did we smoke them. Me and my buddy Nathan Housh caught 31 fish that night, the biggest is the pic in my avatar which was 28lbs and the smallest was 8lbs. Most of those fish were between 14 to 20 lbs. We ran out of skipjack that night and if we wouldnt have i think we could have evan caught more. I have heard many stories about fishing on the full moon nights and the fishing will be great. Didnt ever know wheather to believe that or not until that night. It was a full moon. My boss is mad as a hornet now cause a plan time off according to the moon phases. lol. Anyways back to the circle hook think. as long as you don't pick your pole up and jerk the circle hooks work great. We just let the pole load way up. i mean bend waaaay down before we ever evan touch the pole. If the pole is doubled the fish is hooked, just start realing. To many people are to quick on the draw with circle hooks. I agree if you are catching little fish, they just tend to pick at the bait and circle hooks don't work as well, but if your getting ahold of 10lb+ fish they work great. That night we had 31 bites and that is how many fish hit the bottom of my boat. if you are fishing in a lake, I agree circle hooks would not work very well. J hooks would work a lot better in that situation no doubt. just kiddin with ya skip you didnt hurt my feelins. Just takin up for us circle hook guys. lol.:wink:

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thanks for the ribbin LOL. I just prefer the J hook style of fishing I guess. I have tried circles, but didn't catch fish or even get hits those times. So it might not be in a new guys best interest to not at least try them lol. I have used almost every brand,type,and style of hook out there. I have come to the conclusion that I like 8 to 10/0 gamma octopus hooks for my way of fishing. Which is mostly flatheads and occasional channels. I know it takes a knack or skill to know when to set the hook but that comes from setting and missing. You just gotta keep changing till you figure it out. Oh and the fact that I have no rod holders on my boat make it hard to use them LOL.

20. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    using chicken livers trying a number 7 treble hook and also use panty hose around the liver keeps those sneaky channels honest good luck also merry chrismas