Hook size- need help

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by coltsfan, Aug 25, 2006.

1. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    if i am targeting 5 to 10 pound catfish.what size hook should i be using?i am currently using a 1/0 treble for my livers and 4/0 kahle for my cut shad and it seems like i get alot of good runs but when i set the hook they spit it out.are the hooks i'm using to big.thanks for feedback

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Alot of your runs may not be catfish, turtles love those bait also, and they will run with a bait..Your hook size seems ok, but you could go down in size.

3. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Be sure not to cover the barb of the hook with bait as that could also effect your percentage of hook ups, hook size sounds good to me.

4. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    anybody else ??????????

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I dont use liver , but I use 5/0 to 7/0 kahles with cut bait for channels

6. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I mainly trotline for flatheads and use 6/0 J hooks. I am wanting to start R&R fishing for flats. I have read a lot about kahles and circle hooks, and think the king kahles in 8/0 to 10/0 would be OK for big live bait[eating size bluegills and 6 to 8 inch goldfish] but what size and brand circle hook would be big enough. I am not concerned about fish 10# or less. I have looked and am worried the gap looks small even on big circle hooks. Any ideas? No place close sells circles, so I will have to order them on word of mouth. grizzly

7. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I forgot to say I want to use the hooks for both R&R and trotlines. grizzly

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Kevin, It's been my experience that catfish don't spit hooks out. If your hook is to small it will not have the same chance to penetrate flesh or bone as a bigger hook would. Granted I have caught up to 9# channel's on a #8 hook when trying to catch bait! But the bait on that #8 hook was relative to it's size. Don't be afraid to use big hooks. I guarantee the fish won't be able to tell it apart from the poke of a blue gill dorsal fin or the barb of a bullhead. Give your self a better chance of a good hook set with plenty of hook coming out of your bait. Remember hook size and bait size are relative. Too much bait on a small hook is just as bad as too little bait on a big hook. It has to be just the right ratio, experience will teach you that.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    4/0 hooks are not the reason you aren't getting hookups and are getting runs with the bait. Usually, its not turtles in my case, but gar. The love to run with the bait, but the hook doesn't always get stuck. 4/0 hooks are big enough for up to 10 lb fish, but you may need bigger if using big baits. I keep going up in size, I'm up to 6/0 kahles and looking locally for some 8/0 ones. With my float lines, I use a 7/0 Gamatsu Octopus hook and its not too big for smaller catfish. Caught a 6 incher the other day.

10. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Try using Live bait on those 4/0 hooks

11. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Last few trips, I've had to try a few different sizes and shapes to find one that will hook.
    One that worked the night before might not work tonight?

I have tried some of the more expensive hooks, but they don't seem to work much better than some of the cheaper hooks?
    I bought me some good catfish hooks the other day and I always buy the cheap small Eagle Claw hooks for the kids because they always loose so many and they seem to catch just as many as I do?

Ken