Hook size - for eater channels / blues

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Eddie Mullins, May 27, 2009.

1. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    I am sure this has been covered, but I am not having much luck with the search feature on this sight, so forgive this simple question.

I am riggin up some trot lines and jugs, will be after channels mostly, eaters for the freezer and entertainment for a 9 y/o. I will also admit I am fishing on a budget. With that said I bout some 2/0 and 3/0 stainless hooks.

I keep reading about using 5/0 and bigger hooks, etc , but do I really need that for what I am after? I might rig a few of those with live bait for the chance at a big flat head, but I know I want be catching that muuch live bait and I didn't want the expence of 100 + of those hooks right now.

I plan to use hot dogs, dough, possibly cut bait, are the 2/0 and 3/0 ok? your reccomendations appreciated..

2. sheldonc

sheldonc New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    2/0 and 3/0 will work. Personally I use 5/0 SS J-hooks on my trotlines
    and 5/0 circles on my jugs. I figure if a fish straitened these hooks out
    it saved me the hassle of turning him loose anyway. Catching fish in the
    1 1/2 lb range is pretty common with 5/0 hooks.

3. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    I haven't rigged my drop lines yet, I may return the 2/0 hooks , these just looked to be about the size I have seen used before. Once I got them home, they did seem to have shrunk though :smile2: .

4. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    You said you might use dough,try a package of blackcherry jello in your mix. As soon as you open it that tart smell is all over the place. It always seemed to help our success rate.

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    2/0 or3/0 should be big enough for what you are after works for me anyways . I use circle hooks on my jugs . Bigger hooks tend to eye hook cats but.. If you are eating them it would not matter my opinion .