HOOK SIZE FOR BLUES

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Aug 20, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I USE 8/0 ON FLATS WHAT ABOUT BLUES,

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    hook size depends on bait size .. i mainly use 8/0 circles but if im using big chunks of skipjack i will use a 12/0!!

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i use 7/0 for about everything cept channels. channels i use 1/0 for small eaters and 3/0 for anything larger.

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    For me, it depends on how the fish are biting on that day. If the fish are hitting and taking the bait like a freight train, I use 16/0 circles with big bait. If the fish are nibbling and not taking it right away, I will drop to an 8/0 circle with smaller bait. :wink:

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I rig up my poles by the size tackle I'm using..On my heavy rigs with 30-60 lb. test I have 8/0 circle hooks..On my medium rigs 8-12 lb test I use 6/0 circle hooks and on my light rigs 2-6lb test I use 3/0 circle hooks..

6. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    I use 5 to 6 o to get in the middle:big_smile:

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Depending on bait size I use 8/0-12/0. Always leaving the hook point exposed.

8. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mostley it dependes on the bait size , I mostley usr 8/0 to 10/0 circles and 6/0 to 10/0 Kahle's

9. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    All of my poles have 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus circles on them. I mainly fish the Mississippi river and this seems to be the overall best choice for small eaters all the way up to the big blues pushing triple digits. If targeting big blues only, I'd say 10/0-12/0 would be the way to go. Hope this helps.:wink:

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I use 6/0 at times but mostly just 8/0 circles. I would say that a 1lb fish could easily get an 8/0 in their mouth and most of us aren't fishing for fish that size anyway:tounge_out:

11. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    fresh water i use a 5/0-7/0 octapus hook when casting from the bank in the boat i use 8/0-10/0 circles from the bank a 7/0 hook will bring in anything u can hook an fight have cought fish up to 60 pounds on 5/0 hooks from the bank an also u can hook the smaller bait stealers in my apinion anything over this is over kill now when im fishing saltwater diff story

12. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I use 10/0 vmc circles........:wink:

13. WLG

WLG New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I mainly use 8/0 to 10/0 Gamas and Owner...but if you are targeting BIG blues with BIG hunks of bait Id use 12/0 to 16/0 if you can find em!!!

14. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I use 10/0 Gamakatsu octopus for all my catfishing unless I am using a really big bait, then its a big river hook with the wider gap. I have caught fish anywhere from 2lbs up to almost 60lbs on those hooks so they aren't too big. I guess I just got tired of putting different hooks on everytime I went fishing, and got tired of buying different sizes. I get a really good price if I just buy a lot of one size hook.

15. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    8/0 GAMA circles 10/0 King kahles. 90 % of my fishing.

16. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    most of the time i stay 5/0 to 8/0 which seems to work great with the blue i have been catching with the hook point exposed, the blue are about 8-6 lbs

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use 5/0-7/0 And have caught fish ranging fron 2-17 lbs on them. Father in law uses the same and has no problem bringing in 70 lb blues.

18. Earl1

Earl1 New Member

State:
    wooodbridg

i use 9/0 egale claw circle hooks they hook them self all i do is crank them in:smile2::smile2: