Hook size for big flathead catfish (50lb range)

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by field989, Jul 14, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i fish this one pond and there are 50lb flatheads(well there bigger than that by now) but anyhow i got 7/0 circles and 7/0 o'shaugnessy hooks
    are these good enough for catching them?

im gonna be using a live gill,(maybe with a few cuts on its side, for scent purposes)

Thanks Jeff

2. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    The size hook might depend more on the size bait you fish rather that the fish you are fishing for.Smaller baits-smaller hooks,bigger baits-bigger hooks.I fish anywhere from 6/0 for smaller baits and up to a 10/0 big river cat hook made by gamagatsu.In general a 8/0 covers most of my baits.Hope this helps,but I know there are others with alot more experince with really big flattys,Im still fishin for that monster flat!!

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well probably 5-7 inch gills, hooked in the back behind that fin on their back and before and above the tail

4. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i use 4/0 khaled but i dont really try to catch mosters if i was i would probly use 10/0 khaled hope that helps

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Yes they will work, just remember to use live bait.

6. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i am thinking of just goin with the j hook cause i like to set the hook.... :)

but i dont know about tightlining cause i almost lost my pole to a 23lb channel

but i guess if i have the drag set a bit loose it will be fine....

if i tight line and use a j hook will i be ok?
    or should i go with the circle?

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I agree with woodchucker the size of the hook should be matched to the size of your bait and not the size of the fish. Ive seen some pretty good size fish caught on a little crappie hook. I only use Kahle hooks and when using live bait the size you mentioned I would use the 10/0 King Kahle.

8. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    yeah i do want to get some kahles but as of right now all i got is the circles and j hooks....

but i will buy some but i cant right now :)
    gonna have to wait

9. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I'd use an 8/0 to 10/0 for a 5' or bigger gill. What happens when you use a smaller hook on large bait is the tip of the hook isn't exposed enough to get a good hook set. On larger baits like what you are using I hook them through the eyes. This will let you cast farther without the heavy bait flying off the hook. I also use a smaller hook when I hook them through the eyes. There's it doesn't fill the hooks gap as much as hooking through the back. My buddy just caught a 30lb flat on a 2/0 matzuo (sp) hook last week. Good luck on them big ones!!

10. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    well put you guys got it covered match the hook to bait

11. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    well jeff it dont take a big hook to catch a big fish, my uncle caught a 65+ with a bluegill on a j hook that was like 2/0 or 3/0, under a float, i caught a 30-35 the other day with about 4/0, i would suggest this, go to that pond before sunset, then cast 2 poles out, one on bottom and one with a bobber, cast around any trees or along the banks in the shallows, the fish will be swimming around and it will be a NICE one to get 7'' gill, i would aslo suggest u leave ur bell open and wait for it to go a little before u hook it, then when you do.... have ur drag pretty loose, 50+ will fight in a pond for about 15-20 mins prolly 30 i caught was about 10 mins.... well hope this helps and i wouldnt really cut the gills, just rake the scales back on one side... gtg bye

12. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    but if u hook them through the eyes they will die very quick..

dont u wanna use live bait for flatties?

13. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    There's a spot in the eye socket thats like a hole. You dont puncture the eye'smeat or bone at all. Just barely push on the hook and move it around a bit.

14. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    so u go like in the eye socket but dont puncture the eye? is it like above the eye, infront(towards mouth)

what about just hooking it up through the bottom lip up to the top lip(if there is even enough space in the hook)... maybe the circle hook

thanks....

15. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I hook em through the eyes alot like he's talking and they generly live a long time

16. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    It's kinda at the top of the eye. You just got to hook a few and find for yourself. It's hard to explain on here, I could show you better.

17. CatfishRocky

CatfishRocky New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i think woodchucker has a point it really maters on the size of the bait

18. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    8/0 circle hooks and they set the hook for you but, a seven will work I just caught a big one with a 7/0 circle hook.

19. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    10/0 king kahle is the way to go if ur using 4 inche or bigger bluegil

20. fullstringer

fullstringer Member

State:
    Indiana
    Do you fish a kahle hook like a circle hook as far as the hoohset goes? and what is the best type of kahle to use?