Hook size for baitfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathead_ky, Apr 5, 2007.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    For my big gills I use for cats the biggest hooks I use is 5/0 and I really havent went with any bigger than that. I usually hook them through the mouth, but mostly through the tail. What size do you use on gills, bullheads, etc?

2. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Depending on the size of the baitfish, either 2/0, 5/0, or 7/0, up to 8/0 is the biggest I use. That has worked for me. I use the larger sized hooks if I know big blues/flatheads are around.

3. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    When Im useing big Bluegills for Flathead or Bluecat's I use a 8/0 Gamakatsu Oct circle hook,But if Im fishing for Eating size channel cat I like a 2/0Gamakatsu Octopus....:tounge_out:

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    It really depends on the manufacturer.

I only use Gamakatsu hooks and the smallest I ever us for live bait is a 6/0, but that is only with smaller bluegills. 5/0 is the smallest I use for cut bait. You really need maximu hook tip exposure.

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi

If you mean to catch them then I'll use a #8 Eagle Claw Baitholder (181F) [Qty 50] on a spider rigging for crappie and pumpkinseeds. For them cats though I usually just cut them up to eat and use the "left overs" for bait! Works flawlessly! Good luck my Brother! and Tight Lines too you!

6. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I use two sizes of hooks for all my catfishing, both are eagle claw kahles 7/0 and 10/0. The 10/0 are what i use with live bait, the 7/0 are mostly used with cutbait for channel cats.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use a 2/0 hook and bigger.

8. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i use gamakatsu octopus circles for smaller bait 6/0 to 8/0 but for big live bait or even some bigger cut bait i use a 7/0 to 10/0 eagle claw king kahle

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    2/0 - 10/0 Khales and J's. I had used J's all my life until last year.Thanks to the BOC,I know there are more hooks than J-hooks now. :cool2:

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I Ditto this post. If you find something that works stay with it. Keep it simple and effective.:lol:

11. fishallday927

fishallday927 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i think 7/0 is a little too big i like the 2/0 gamagatsu hook its really sharp anything up to 7/0 is good

12. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I use Eagle Claw Kahle hooks 5/0 up to 10/0.

13. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    All I use is 8/0 to 15/0 circles, I just ordered more 15/0's because I have been wanting to fish bigger baits but the 8's just aren't clearing the hook enough.