Hook sharpening?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by GMC FishHauler, Mar 13, 2007.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    how do ya'll sharpen ur hooks and how often?
    i do not know how to sharpen them so i just put all hooks that seem dull into tupperware when i think that they are getting too dull to use.

2. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I carry small diamond files, any time I use a new hook I sharpen it, better safe than sorry.

3. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    You can buy a hook sharpener most any sporting place ,I touch them up after every catch or snag , or first use .

4. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    diamond files are the way to go...just remember, its not just the point that needs to be sharp...sharpen the sides of the hook to make a 3 side cutting edge...top and sides...some hook packages show a magnified close up of the hooks cutting surface and could probobly show you what i mean easier than i can say it...good luck

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    James,
    As mentioned, diamond files are the thing to use. Use the thumb nail test to see if the hook is sharp enough. Drag the point across your thumb nail. Most likely it will slide. When sharp the point will dig into the nail and not slide. ALWAYS check your hooks, even when fresh from the box...W

6. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    Metalman's test for sharpness is the same one I use.

You should be able to find hook sharpeners at any place that specializes in fishing supplies. I have a small (2") coarse file sharpener, and a diamond file with a groove.

-- Rich.

7. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    A diamond file works the best, and as most everyone has mentioned it is very important to even sharpen new hooks. New hooks are really not very sharp even though they are right out of the box.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I got the el cheapo supremeo from k- mart or who knows where ive used it for years and i sharpen or at least check my hooks religously when it needs replacing it will be with a diomond sharpener

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I just picked up 3 more diamond sharpeners from walmart clearance section for $1.50 each :big_smile:

First Two things to put in a tackle bag: Sharpener and Fingernail clippers imho....