Hook sharpeners??

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by KYTRAPPER, Jun 28, 2007.

1. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Anyone recommend a good one???:confused2:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Philip I used berkley sharpners and they worked ok. But I now use Gamakatasu hooks and don't need a sharpner. These hooks are sharp from the box. Still have the Berkley in case it's needed on other brands of hooks.:big_smile:

3. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Thanks. I was looking at a little diamond sharpener from cabelas. I also use gama hooks on rod and reel. I need the sharpener for my trotline hooks. Turtles and constant rebaiting with tuff cut bait dulls them pretty quick.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just use a cheapo hook file I bought at some discount store . I've had it forever but it works.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have used the same small flat Arkansas stone that fits in one of my regular "lure slots" in my tackle box for over 40 years.I cain;t believe that I have not lost it.It sharpens my hooks or knife.I made my trot lines with loops in the main line.I would make up my short drop lines with loops in each end so that I could loop them on my mainline loops and loop the hooks on the drop line.This way I could change out my hooks and drop lines quickly and easily when dull or frayed.I just carried along x-tra hooks and made up drop lines in separate containers.You can do maintenance between running lines or just carry enough x-tra hooks and drop lines to last to you get home.This works great when the fish are really biting.I just cut off a fish if needed,tie another loop for a hook if I have enough line or just loop another line and hook on.You can recover your hook later.Also you can go home with your main line wrapped around most anything after un-looping the drop lines and hooks.Loop your drop lines end to end and roll them up on something if you wish.I just drop them in a plastic bucket untill next time as they do not seem to tangle up with the short drops that I use.Drop the hooks in a box or can.Just put out your mainline first and come back,or add your drop lines,hooks and bait as you put the main line out.You can even make your main line up with loops and loop swivels between each drop line if needed.You just make up your main line with short lengths of line with a loop in each end and one in the middle.You can also loop a swivel on to your drop lines.They take up more time to make up at home but save you much time and aggravation on the water.I love You Brothers and Sisters,peewee

6. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I go with PeeWee on this one.
    They fit just right in your tackel box and they do a great job.

7. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    They work good!

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Thanks.I have wondered how they worked with hooks and how they lasted.Something can be the best thing that has come along since the egg,but it ain;t no good to you if you don;t know it.Ain;t the BOC great!Remember people.You can get too sharp a edge on hooks like all edges.A shaving edge or fine point cuts and sticks the best in soft stuff.A chisel edge or less tapered point will last longer when the going is rough.There is a happy medium in there.I have over done and under done it at times.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Picked up a diamond Sharpener from Wally World just like this one:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...atchall&Nty=1&Ntt=Diamond+Sharpener&noImage=0

Used it a season, Worked great..
    Last winter, found em on Clearance for like $1.50.. Picked up 3 more just have as spare hehe... My 7yo "hooked" me up last Christmas with a bunch of Lazer Kahles, so I haven't used it much this year...

If your using non Chemically sharpened hooks, etc, they are worth the $$ IMHO. If your using coated or chemically sharpened hooks, throw the hook away and use a new one..

10. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Thats the one I was looking at:big_smile:

11. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Tell ya what, PM me your Address and I'll mail ya one of mine if you would like.

12. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Man thats awful good of ya' but you dont have to do that...:big_smile:

13. Whiskerhunter

Whiskerhunter New Member

State:
    Ky
    The best sharpener I have ever used is handmade from two chain saw files. They sit side to side and you run the hook point down the grove. It takes about 4 swipes to get a needle point hook.

14. mospurs

mospurs New Member

State:
    missouri
    HERES A TIP FOR SETLINE HOOKS.TAKE A MAGIC MARKER AND COAT THE EXPOSED BARE SHARPENED METAL.IT CUTS DOWN ON DULLING CAUSED BY RUST

15. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I read where TeamWhiskers uses this too and I went out and bought me two files and taped them together.. They work great. Just a couple swipes and the hook is very sharp. Worked good on a circle hook too.

16. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    i have a hook/knife sharpener from renegade, was 3.00 from walmart, hold it with your thumb and pointer finger, gotten me bay so far